mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Will Dura Ace Rear Deraileur Handle a 12-32 Cassette?

I'm an 8spd diehard. My setup: All second generation XTR. M950 rear short cage deraileur, M952 cranks with triple rings, XTR 12-32 cassette. The short cage deraileur is great, quick shifting, more clearance. But its showing its age and shifting reluctantly. And of course, I cannot x-chain, intentionally at least.

Will the newer DuraAce deraileurs work with my 12-32, triple ring setup? Should I get a 9 or 10 speed, triple-ring compatible? I do want to maintain the same short cage of my classic XTR thought of course.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    I'm an 8spd diehard. My setup: All second generation XTR. M950 rear short cage deraileur, M952 cranks with triple rings, XTR 12-32 cassette. The short cage deraileur is great, quick shifting, more clearance. But its showing its age and shifting reluctantly. And of course, I cannot x-chain, intentionally at least.

Will the newer DuraAce deraileurs work with my 12-32, triple ring setup? Should I get a 9 or 10 speed, triple-ring compatible? I do want to maintain the same short cage of my classic XTR thought of course.
    Why not just get another XT or XTR derailuer? That will likely be cheaper than the Dura Ace and you know it will work without hassle. I don't know if a 9-speed derailuer works with an 8-speed chain. You can still buy 8-speed XT derailuers though . The other thing is that the mountian derailuers have sealed bearing pulleys, at least for the lower pulley. I don't know if the road ones have sealed bearings or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The whole point of the question is to find a short cage deraileur!! XTs are only mid and long cage. Hmm, maybe I didn't make it clear the first time. Have you ever seen the XTR deraileur I'm referring to? It's really short.

Only one pulley on the deraileurs are sealed bearings. I can't remember which one is. The other pulley is In fact not even bearings, just bushings or a little cap riding on a "pin" which rotates on the bolt connecting the two cages.

chips & bier

The only way for you to find is to buy it and try

It all depends on how long the derialleur hanger on your frame is. Some bikes have quite short hangers, and a DA won't ever shift onto anything bigger than a 27t. Most MTBs have a longer hanger, though, so a 32t should be a problem. If anything, measure the length from hub axle center to derailleur eyelet, and repost here (or in the weightweenies forum).

As far as pricing goes, I think a Dura-Ace 9 or 10 is still quite a bit cheaper than an XTR derailleur (it is here, at least), and it isn't rapid-rise, to boot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    now theres a song i can dance to. good info. i never thought of the d. hanger being a factor. i just thought they were all the same. but there really can't be much diff between hangers or the b-adjustment wouldn't work with some der. i would think. if its too low, then the der might not make it to the smallest cog.

in any case, i'll measure the distance and post it. thx for the advice.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I agree, I don't think the dure-ace will work, some gears just won't work right and it won't hold the chain properly in the really small cogs.

I've seen a short cage XT before, not sure if they are still available.

I just got an idea, buy a 105 deraileur (9 speed will work) and give it a try. It will work in a very similiar way to the Dure-ace, if it fits, then get a dure-ace

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    The whole point of the question is to find a short cage deraileur!! XTs are only mid and long cage. Hmm, maybe I didn't make it clear the first time. Have you ever seen the XTR deraileur I'm referring to? It's really short.

Only one pulley on the deraileurs are sealed bearings. I can't remember which one is. The other pulley is In fact not even bearings, just bushings or a little cap riding on a "pin" which rotates on the bolt connecting the two cages.
    Sorry to offend you . You said you already have a 'short cage' XTR derailuer on the bike, that it was working fine for you when it was fresh, and that it is now worn out. It made sense to me to just replace the worn out part with a fresh one and avoid a possibly expensive hassle trying to make the Dura Ace work.

There's not much difference in the cage length between the XT 'short cage' I have and a Dura Ace short cage. Cage length difference appears to me to be less than a half inch. The XT short cage I have is not a 'rapid rise' model. I don't know how much 'benefit' you'll be gaining by using the Dura Ace instead of an XT or XTR 'short cage', if cage length is the main factor here.

Yes, you are right about the pulleys. I took a look at my XT 'short cage' and only the lower pulley is sealed. The top one uses a bushing.

Do It Yourself
    If your old XTR short cage was working, the new DA will shift at least as well and have better capacity due to larger pulleys. You'll still have to be careful with setup but if it's working now, a new DA could only be better. If you were to look at a roadie triple derailleur, you might as well go with a mountain mid-cage since they are the same. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the short cage unless you're only using two ring setup and even then the mid-cage would be recommended with a wide range cassette.
    Long Live Long Rides