Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SpitFire Pilot

New question here. Will Avon SkinSoSoft kill my chain?

Hello, this is my first post!

Well, I managed to get my brand-new SRAM PowerLink chain coated in tiny little pebbles on my first ride with the new chain, it's everywhere...inside and out. (ask me if I'll ever ride in mud again) And I was wondering if Avon SkinSoSoft bath oil could be used as a chain degreaser? How would I use it? Is anyone familiar with this product?

Thanks in advance

PB

mtbr member
    you could probably use it, people use Simplegreen probably cant harm it, probably just leave the chain in a cup full of it overnight, then take it out and wash, then grease it.

not that sure though, i've never had that happen to me.

SpitFire Pilot
    This stuff is pretty thick, should I dillute it with water?

-PB

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroBoy
    This stuff is pretty thick, should I dillute it with water?

-PB
    Forget the Avon crap. Just use the hose and a brush. An old toilet brush works pretty good. If you really want it spotless use the brush with a bucket of soapy water. Ordinary dish soap will work. Make sure you rinse the soapy water off with the hose. Once clean, dry the chain to keep it from rusting. Once dry, oil the chain. A small drop of oil on each link. Then wipe off excess oil with a rag and your good to go.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Chain cleaning

MBA had an article afew years ago that proved that Avon Skin so Soft would weaken the metal of SRAM chains. Okay, maybe not. My way is:

1. remove the chain using the Powerlink;

2. place the chain in a small tupperware container and cover with Castrol degreaser. Let soak for5 min. Castrol removes dirty oil better that Simplgreen;

3. shake vigorously for 1-2 min and let it sit for 10-15 min;

4. pour off the degreaser in to a container and save for reuse;

5. add hot water to the tupperware container, seal and shake vigorously. Repeat until all degreaser is removed;

6. place chain on an old baking sheet or tin foil and place in a toaster oven (or proper oven) and bake at 200f for 20 min;

7. let the chain cool, lay it out on an old towel and apply your favourite lube, wipe the chain thoroughly and re-install.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

SpitFire Pilot
    Thanks guys, I'll try those methods...and if I can remember I'll let you know how it went.

-PB

mtbr member

Here's an old wive's tale...

Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    you could probably use it, people use Simplegreen probably cant harm it, probably just leave the chain in a cup full of it overnight, then take it out and wash, then grease it.

not that sure though, i've never had that happen to me.
    I would avoid the combination of Simplegreen and SRAM. For reasons unexplained, prolonged exposure to Simplegreen *appears* to weaken the plates. I've had two relatively new SRAM chains blow up after soaking in Simplegreen. No problem with Shimano chains, no problem with SRAM chains in other degreasers.

Coincidence? Maybe...perhaps likely. But others have reported the same thing happening and it hasn't happened to me since I stopped using Simplegreen for chains.

And on another note, when I was working with a timber crew in my teens we used Skin so Soft to repel bugs. It also repelled other people. The van smelled absolutely gory by the end of the day.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz
    I would avoid the combination of Simplegreen and SRAM. For reasons unexplained, prolonged exposure to Simplegreen *appears* to weaken the plates. I've had two relatively new SRAM chains blow up after soaking in Simplegreen. No problem with Shimano chains, no problem with SRAM chains in other degreasers.

Coincidence? Maybe...perhaps likely. But others have reported the same thing happening and it hasn't happened to me since I stopped using Simplegreen for chains.

And on another note, when I was working with a timber crew in my teens we used Skin so Soft to repel bugs. It also repelled other people. The van smelled absolutely gory by the end of the day.

IMHO soaking is complete overkill. You don't have to get every tiny bit of dirt off. Just get it mostly clean with plain water of a bit of soap and water. Then dry and relube.

However clean you get it, it will just get dirty again on the very next ride.

SpitFire Pilot
    Well, I think it's clean...I hope so anyway...

I used an old toothbrush, some palmolive aromatherapy dish-liquid (it was just sitting there looking at me) and I scrubed that thing 'till I didn't see anymore grime. However, I'm not sure that the actual internals of the rollers and such got cleaned the way they should be. But the rest of the chain looked clean so I left it at that.

Did I do anything wrong?

-PB
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    conformity sucks......
    You never know what kind of animal the blood's gonna attract...

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroBoy
    Well, I think it's clean...I hope so anyway...

I used an old toothbrush, some palmolive aromatherapy dish-liquid (it was just sitting there looking at me) and I scrubed that thing 'till I didn't see anymore grime. However, I'm not sure that the actual internals of the rollers and such got cleaned the way they should be. But the rest of the chain looked clean so I left it at that.

Did I do anything wrong?

-PB
    Did you lube it after it dried up? if you didn't lube it, yes you did something wrong. If you cleaned and then lubed, no you didn't do anything wrong.

If you are obsesive about cleaning the chain, maybe you should buy one of the chain cleaning thingamaroos, like Parks. They do a good job of cleaning and degreasing, they are messy though.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Park chain cleaner box, and others of its ilk, are handy things to have. Just have to clean outside on a lawn or someplace you don't mind spilling grimy water on.

rad to the power of sick
    A chain is a chain..just soap and water then use an old shop rag and squeeze it on the chain while you hand backpedal. No need for soaking or any of that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadghost
    Park chain cleaner box, and others of its ilk, are handy things to have. Just have to clean outside on a lawn or someplace you don't mind spilling grimy water on.
    I agree this is the best and simplest solution. Forget all those exotic solutions. Biodegadable degreaser is formulated not to damage your chain and is cheap. Next thing they will tell you to lube your chain with Oil of Olay.

SpitFire Pilot
    I did lube the chain after it was dry. And that little chain-cleaning thingamabob is on my wishlist.

Thanks y'all

-PB
    conformity sucks......

Anytime. Anywhere.

Chain

I've used the Park chain cleaner and just washed it but with my method you won't believe the crap that will come out of your "clean chain". My method is not messy and can be done indoors.

SpitFire Pilot
    I was actually going to use your method Travis, but I didn't have any degreaser. (hence this topic) So I tried the other technique. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some of your castrol stuff cheap somewhere.

-PB
    conformity sucks......

Anytime. Anywhere.

It

Do it, Do it now!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Travis, are you talking the Castrol purple degreaser? That used to be my favoiite allround stuff, however, after a recent search, I discovered it's no longer available in California. Can you still get that cleaner? I'd love to stock up on some of it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz

I've heard that the problem is putting Simple Green concentrate on the chain directly. Wetting down the chain first and using a 2:1 dilution should prevent this (according to some info I've read on the web). The diluted stuff still cuts the grime well enough and is easier to rinse off. Anyway, that's what I do now for my Shimano chains.

Dave

Anytime. Anywhere.

Castrol

Yea, just wiping down a Shimano chain is good enough, after all it's a crap chain that's going to fall apart anyway (in my experience). Castrol purple is available in Canada, Simlegreen works okay, and Mountain Equipment Co-op biodegradable seemed slightly less powerfull than Simplegreen. I want a big 4l jug of cheap citrus degreaser but no luck so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Yea, just wiping down a Shimano chain is good enough, after all it's a crap chain that's going to fall apart anyway (in my experience). Castrol purple is available in Canada, Simlegreen works okay, and Mountain Equipment Co-op biodegradable seemed slightly less powerfull than Simplegreen. I want a big 4l jug of cheap citrus degreaser but no luck so far.
    I use the MEC stuff sometimes for cleaning greasy parts with a rag, but it doesn't seem all that effective if I leave parts to soak in it (e.g. caged bearings)

mtbr member
    Nice tip on using the oven to dry your chain, that saved me a ton of time!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Oven

You gotta use it for something. Pick up a used toaster oven at a garage sale for the shop.

SpitFire Pilot
    Well, after going to canadian tire to buy some of your castrol stuff, we couldn't find it...got any more details so that I maybe give those useless employees a clue? Thanks.

-PB
    conformity sucks......

Anytime. Anywhere.

Purple

I've never seen it at Canadian tire but Walmart does carry it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast