mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Will an 8 speed rear derailleur work with a 9 speed shifter and cassette?

Can an 8 speed shimano deore rear derailleur be made to work with a 9 speed shifter and cassette? I recall a lbs employee saying its possible to make a 9 speed derailleur work on a 10 speed set up awhile back. True? Are either of these possible?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes (within the respective brands) and no, not reliably, respectively. 7/8/9 all use the same cable pull, 10 speed in both brands is unique.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sure no problem at all, now the 10speeds are different than the older models and require more cable pull..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So I take it its all a matter of derailleur adjustment and mating it to a 9spd shifter and cassette? How would I go about making the adjustments to make it work? Are there any complications to worry about? Wschruba mentioned that there may be reliability issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ran an 8 speed Alivio RD on a 9 speed XT / XTR drive train as a stop gap after I kopped a trail snake and bust the cage on the XTR one. I needed a lightly longer B screw to clear the 34T cassette and one of the limit screws (think it was the high) was right at the edge but other than that it worked surprisingly well - one thing I would say is make sure you have a chain stay protector - the RD spring is not as strong as the Shadow RD's and you will get chain slap over even moderate bumps - it occasionally dropped the chain when very rough so I wouldn't go DH or anything with that set up but for XC or general trail riding it's OK.
    BTW you can use Shimano 9 speed MTN RD's with 10 speed road shifters but not 10 speed mtn shifters.
    Last edited by SimpleJon; 04-12-2013 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    Can an 8 speed shimano deore rear derailleur be made to work with a 9 speed shifter and cassette? I recall a lbs employee saying its possible to make a 9 speed derailleur work on a 10 speed set up awhile back. True? Are either of these possible?
    Hmm, which model is it exactly as I don't remember Shimano Deore ever being specifically an 8-speed derailleur... Nevertheless it doesn't really matter as an 8-speed derailleur should work with 9 speeds.