mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Will '06 XO Short Cage R.Der Work on 34T Cog?

I know SRAMs specs say 32T max, but if I don't x-chain, can the der work? I currently use my XTR old skool short cage on a 32T cog and its fine as long as I don't X-chain. Shifting is was so quick (Der to worn now, so I'm looking into the new '06 XO). OUCH the price though!

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    I know SRAMs specs say 32T max, but if I don't x-chain, can the der work? I currently use my XTR old skool short cage on a 32T cog and its fine as long as I don't X-chain. Shifting is was so quick (Der to worn now, so I'm looking into the new '06 XO). OUCH the price though!
    According to the spec sheet I've got for '06 SRAM it will go largest cog 34t, smallest 11t, and only a 30 tooth total capacity. How does a short cage make the shifting any better? The upper jocky wheel is in the same place as on a long or medium cage.

Monte

Chrome Toaster
    You can use it on a 34t. You need to be very careful about crosschaining though. YOu can still keep the chain full length to avoid crosschaining but then the chain will go limp on the granny+small cogs. Thats usually not a problem since you should never run that combo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    According to the spec sheet I've got for '06 SRAM it will go largest cog 34t, smallest 11t, and only a 30 tooth total capacity. How does a short cage make the shifting any better? The upper jocky wheel is in the same place as on a long or medium cage.

Monte
    The shorter cage gives the chain less leverage to yank on the cage and flexes less to the sides. Result is the chain tension is kept tighter and side movement is crisper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    You can use it on a 34t. You need to be very careful about crosschaining though. YOu can still keep the chain full length to avoid crosschaining but then the chain will go limp on the granny+small cogs. Thats usually not a problem since you should never run that combo anyway.

Cool. Thats the answer i was looking for. so, you've tried it?

The shorter cage gives the chain less leverage to yank on the cage and flexes less to the sides. Result is the chain tension is kept tighter and side movement is crisper.
    yes, exactly! my short cage xtr is so quick, no lags compared to med/long cages. plus theres less cage hanging down to hit rocks and obstacles=more clearance.