Got Trails?

Wierd Clicking Noise????

Ok, as some may know I recently upgraded my rear derailleur from an acera to a shimano XT. Since I had the derailleur off & the chain off I decided to put on a sram power link chain. Long story short I now have a clicking noise coming from what I believe to be the crank but then again I am not totally sure? It only happens in higher gears as I pedal, not matter if I am pedaling hard or light I get the click (which you can also feel)? The only thing I have noticed is that the front derailleur rubs on the chain a little which makes a very soft rubbing noise (any way to adjust the chain away from the front Derailleur?).

Thanks In advance.
    Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1
    Ok, as some may know I recently upgraded my rear derailleur from an acera to a shimano XT. Since I had the derailleur off & the chain off I decided to put on a sram power link chain. Long story short I now have a clicking noise coming from what I believe to be the crank but then again I am not totally sure? It only happens in higher gears as I pedal, not matter if I am pedaling hard or light I get the click (which you can also feel)? The only thing I have noticed is that the front derailleur rubs on the chain a little which makes a very soft rubbing noise (any way to adjust the chain away from the front Derailleur?).

Thanks In advance.
    Any ideas?
    if the derailler is rubbing you need to adjust the derailler away from the chain.
    check out parktool.com's repair section on how to adjust a derailler if you're not famliar with it.
    Happening only when you're in the big ring and small cogs (= 'higher gears')? Then you need to adjust it out a bit.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Life is Good
    Is it occuring at regular intervals or is it random? My crankset makes a clicking noise when my left pedal is on its up stroke. I'm not sure why...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Got Trails?
    the clicking noise seems to be at a regular interval, but it only started after I put on the new chain. I am wondering if I need to remove another link from the chain because I just tried back pedaling & the chain gets caught up on the front derialleur & creates a lot of slack?

Got Trails?
    after a closer look I noticed that as I back pedal the cranks the chain is actually getting hung up on the cassette & shifting up a gear (ghost shifting). The clicking noise I am hearing is the chain as it turns it catches the next gear up slips off (creating the click noise)then it rotates again & shifts up a gear??? What can fix this?