mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wich are the differences between a shimano deore and deore XT rear hub?

Hi

I want to know if there is too much difference between this two hubs, besides the price.
    I know that the XT weights something like 26 grams less than the deore, but is it worth it?
    Is there any other difference in construction quality?

thanks a lot!
    bye

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the deore hub will probably be durable but the bearings and races on the xt are much better- smoother polish, harder materials. i think shimano uses the same freehub engagement for all their hubs with the exception of some older dura-ace hubs. as far as i know the flanges are the same so the wheel as a whole's characteristics should be similar. i was amazed at the quality of bearings on my XT rear hub. adjustment requires (allows) much more precision, but mine did not need it out of the box, which is unlike deore hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by fran
    Hi

I want to know if there is too much difference between this two hubs, besides the price.
    I know that the XT weights something like 26 grams less than the deore, but is it worth it?

thanks a lot!
    bye

Chrome Toaster
    All of Shimano's hubs are extremely similar in cunstruction and design. Deore, LX, and XT all share the same freewheel. The difference is minor weight savings in the shell and maybe a few other minor details. XTR is the same overall design but more refinement to keep it much lighter. That means most of the parts are not compatible among the others either. It uses titanium axles and freewheel and they use 9 balls per side instead of 10 to save some weight I guess.

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    The main difference is in the gullability of those that purchase them .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fran
    Hi

thanks a lot!
    bye
    as far as i know,shimano's all groupset parts are generally the same,although if you visit thier websites,they might say the deore lx to xtr range are of high-end quality,but in fact it's just some un-noticeable stuff.so whether it's just,xt,lx or normal sis,just get those afforadble price and pratical hubs will do.
    or else end up petrified if it doesn't last long.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    On the disc brake hubs, the XT's use a normal 6-bolt rotor mount and the XTR's use the center-lock rotor mount. I think that center-lock rotor mount is part of the reason the XTR hubs are so much lighter than XT's. Once the discs are on the hubs, I would imagine the weights are pretty close between XT and XTR. It would be interesting to know that info...

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertRider
    On the disc brake hubs, the XT's use a normal 6-bolt rotor mount and the XTR's use the center-lock rotor mount. I think that center-lock rotor mount is part of the reason the XTR hubs are so much lighter than XT's. Once the discs are on the hubs, I would imagine the weights are pretty close between XT and XTR. It would be interesting to know that info...
    Centerlock mounts are normal to all the latest generation of shimano parts including XT. LX and now even Deore.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Centerlock mounts are normal to all the latest generation of shimano parts including XT. LX and now even Deore.
    My 2005 model Deore XT and Deore disc hubs are both 6-bolt IS mount...

Elitest thrill junkie
    What about yout 2006s?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My 2005 XT disc hubs are centerlock

Chrome Toaster
    Deore is centerlock for 2006 so those aren't widely available yet. If your XT is 6 bolt then what you have is a 756 or (or 755), not a 760 XT hub. Its a pre 2004 model, even if it was manufactured after that date.