mtbr member
    May 2007

why x.o, x.9 shifters have no indicators?

just wondering. im planning to upgrade to a sram x.9 shifter and rear derailleur. i'm wondering though why these high end shifter does not have a gear indicator as oppose to its lower siblings x.7 etc.?

mtbr member
    My x.9 shifters have indicators (I'd say '05 or '06 generations..I don't remember). My x.0 don't.

I'm guessing the X.0 don't to save a few milligrams here or there. I really don't find I need the indicators 99% of the time. Your legs tell you if the gear is too big or too small, so I don't need to know the actual number. The 1% of the time is when my shifting is going to crap and I need to make on-the-fly adjustments. When the shifting starts hopping between two gears during a ride, it's easier to tell what's going wrong with an indicator.

I generally assume the cable is stretching and tighten the cable a few clicks. That solves the problem usually....unless there's a stick or something stuck where it shouldn't be.

ups and downs
    The basic premise is that as you advance in riding ability and buying power you have a better feel for what gear you're in and don't need indicators. If it's too hard to pedal you downshift and if it's too easy you upshift. If you have time to look down at your gear indicators, you're not riding hard enough

Texan
    And the added weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    06 X.9 still had the indicator, 07's and the new 08's have X.0 style slim alloy clamps with 2 mounting points for side to side adjustment + matchmaker option. you cant combine those options with a built in indicator like you get on X.7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The basic premise is that as you advance in riding ability and buying power you have a better feel for what gear you're in and don't need indicators.

Wellll...more for chain line. You can extend the life of your drivetrain with a straight chain line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    Wellll...more for chain line. You can extend the life of your drivetrain with a straight chain line.
    You are not able to remember the chainring you are on ?

it's....
    Kinda like the shift pattern on stickshift knob, not needed by experienced drivers.

mtbr member
    You get used to not having the indicators after a few rides.

*Contents Under Pressure
    screw indicators...look down and start counting
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

pedal pusher
    Paint marker.

pedal pusher
    Ah, hell... I was thinking SRAM twist shifters, which I use; they all have indicators. However, when the little red dot that pointed at the gear number wore off, I used a paint marker to put a dot on there in its place.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Kinda like the shift pattern on stickshift knob, not needed by experienced drivers.
    Awesome analogy.