MTBR Demi-God

Why Use e-type FD?

I have noticed that many bikes have e-type front derailleurs- even when there is a perfectly good seat tube to install a clamped FD. Why is that? Do e-type derailleurs have some advantages over the clamped ones?

For full suspension bikes without a regular seatpost, its a great thing, but I never quite understood the need for an e-type on hardtails....

MTJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You mostly answered your own question

The only reason to use an E-Type is when clamping a derailleur to the set tube is not an option. This happens in three instances that I can come up with:

1) There is no seat tube to clamp. This is often the case in bikes with complicated suspension linkages

2) The bottom bracket shell is too wide. Check out a Surly Pugsley - a regular derailleur would never be able to get to the big ring, it's too far away from the seat tube.

3) The tubing is so thin and light you don't want to pinch it. This used to be a big problem with carbon fiber, it may still be. This would be the only plausible reason that you would need to use an E-type on a hardtail.

That being said, people do a lot of weird things. Is there a specific instance of a production bike you can point to?

bang
    the trek 4900 i have uses an e-type front derailer. maybe they cost less than the other versions, or maybe that's just what the manufacturer had a bunch of at the time.

MTBR Demi-God
    What you pointed out is exactly what my thoughts were, but I have seen a couple of buddies of mine riding Trek 4300s with an etype derailleur- with no apparent reason to warrant an e-type......

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've seen e-type derailleurs and bb's on sale for ridiculous savings before and my thought was that they thought alot more people would want them and now they have a huge surplus. performance bike often has e-type bb's on the xt and lx level for about $16 and fd's for super cheap.