Thread: Why go to 1x9?

mtbr member

Why go to 1x9?

I recently built up a bike as a 1x9 and just wondered what were your reasons for the conversion (for those of us who have done it). I have two main reasons why I did it:

1.) The frame I bought (used) was a few years old and a lot of people who owned the bike complained about chain suck (old design flaw I guess) going between the granny gear and middle chain ring. Anyway, I built it up as a 1x9 and have never had any chain suck issues.

2.) I hate front derailleurs. I'm not sure whether I hate adjusting them or cleaning them more, but I just can't stand them. They are mud catchers. Only my road bikes have front derailleurs.

How about you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride 1x9 on my DH bike and 2x9 on my trial bikes

mtbr member
    The places I ride, the small and large rings are not needed but if I need a little less gear I use my 39 tooth cogg I have in the rear as backup.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biketuna
    little less gear I use my 39 tooth cogg I have in the rear as backup.
    Bluhhhh?

It keeps my legs strong, it's one less lever on my handlebars, and after several years of riding i still sucked at being in the right chain ring at the right time- i was always thinking about when to shift the front end.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

I AM I AM
    Yeah I found I didn't need the big ring off road, and bugger all on road too.
    I also found I could do without the granny if I didn't have the option, given the option then mental weakness gives in.
    Loosing one shifter & derailleur was a huge plus, as well as being able to install a bashie (no more caught pants).

maker of trail
    Dual guide rings up front, 32 +11-34 cassette, is all I need for trail riding and the super sketchy DH. Keeps my chain on, no granny actually makes riding easier, cos you are forced to get stronger and keep more speed up. No front shifter or deraileur makes the bike cleaner Never going back!!