Hairy man

Why does my new chain feel waxy?

I just bought a new chain (a SRAM P-58, I think. It's an 8-speed chain from SRAM) I took it out of the box and it felt waxy. What's up with that?
    We all get it in the end.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Would you rather it feel rusty?

They always come coated in light grease to prevent corrosion.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Would you rather it feel rusty?

They always come coated in light grease to prevent corrosion.
    Oh I'm happy it's not rusty. I'm just wondering if I should strip it before lubing it. Or can I just throw some tri-flo on top of the grease?
    We all get it in the end.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I am almost certain that SRAM advices against degreasing the chain. They pack them with that special "lube" -aka: greassy waxy thing that picks up a lot of dirt- and it is supposed to be the cat's meow.

If the search engine is up and running, you may want to look for threads on that issue -I know that it has been discussed at least a couple of times here.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Oh I'm happy it's not rusty. I'm just wondering if I should strip it before lubing it. Or can I just throw some tri-flo on top of the grease?
    Using a bit of tri-flo shouldn't be a problem, just wipe the chain down real good before riding. Any excess grease/lube on the outside of the chain won't help things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    I just bought a new chain (a SRAM P-58, I think. It's an 8-speed chain from SRAM) I took it out of the box and it felt waxy. What's up with that?
    yeah, sram uses some stuff called Gleitmo? There's been some good talk here about it in the past.
    Bottom Line- it's a great lube! Don't degrease it, but once it wears off, apply your lube of choice.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]