mtbr member
    Sep 2011

why does the direct mount make taking the wheel off easier?

I converted to a direct mount and it really is easier. I always had trouble taking the rear wheel off but I havent been biking for that long so Im not sure why the direct mount is easier. Im not going to put the b pivot back on to try to figure it out and was hoping someone knew the answer.

does anyone believe the direct mount shifting stiffness claim?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Direct mount what??
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Shimano Direct Mount. Its a new mount for Shadow Derailleurs because the Shadow design uses a 20mm more rearward position than traditional RDs. Replaces the classic derailleur hanger and B bracket/plate with one piece. Frame specific.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanik View Post
    Shimano Direct Mount. Its a new mount for Shadow Derailleurs because the Shadow design uses a 20mm more rearward position than traditional RDs. Replaces the classic derailleur hanger and B bracket/plate with one piece. Frame specific.
    It's not exactly frame specific. In theory it can be retrofitted to any bike with a replaceable hanger. Most manufactures are slow to adopt this setup. Silly because they do shift better on the wide range cassettes that are becoming common place. It's also not an either or kind of deal. You can go back to the old system with a swap of a hanger.

I'm SOL as none of my MTB's have replaceable hangers.