Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    turtles make me hot

WHY Do Sticks Keep Tearing Off My Rear Derailler?

I rode 26ers for many years and never once changed a derailler hanger. I'm three years on my Specialized FSR 29er and not only have I replaced the derailler hanger 5 or 6 times, today, a stick about a foot long and an inch in diameter tore my X0 derailler off my bike, ripped the threads out of the hanger, broke the carbon fiber cage in half and broke the tension screw. This was the first time in a very long time I walked out of the woods... The parking lot was in sight, so trying to go single speed was more trouble than it would have been worth.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Have these all been X0? Maybe a more durable derailleur like an X7 would work better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i never broke a rear derialleur in my years of riding till recently. broke the rear hanger on my 2011 hardrock and now i can not get the bike to shift rite with a new hanger so im guessing that the derialleur is junk too...

is yours low to the ground ? long cage ?

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Boy would I like to believe there's a forest-wide conspiracy against you and your bike.

It is nothing more than luck of the draw. You're probably just getting caught up from all those worry free years.

Stuff happens.

Plays with tools
    I think mother nature is trying to get back at you for something.

turtles make me hot
    All great answers... I guess maybe my number's up.

And yes. It's a long cage.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Stuff happens sometimes. It has nothing to do with the wheel size.

Two weekends ago I had about the same size stick shred my own derailleur (an X7), and a few spokes along with it. That was about ten minutes after I reassured my friend who had wanted to bail out and go home because there were too many sticks on the trail. Had to eat my words after that incident.

the catalan connection
    Had this happen once too.
    For weird it sounds, the faster you go, the better.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Heh, I went almost ten years without a "hanger issue" until two weeks ago. The smallest little green twig wedged into my der. and blam went the hanger. Good thing the tree next to me had a branch at perfect repair stand height to hang the bike from. 10 minutes later I was rolling again. Ahh, that reminds me, I need to put the new extra hanger in my pack today before riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm having similar issues on my 2010 stumpjumper fsr. I'm on my 6th derailleur hanger. One of the times the derailleur sheared off and went into my spokes and ruined the derailleur, chain, hanger, and mildly bent a few spokes. I intend on only buying x7 rear derailleurs from now on.

Where you running specialized derailleur hangers or wheels mfg? I had replaced all of mine but the last with wheels mfg and I think they aren't quite as strong as the specialized ones. No issues since the switch back to the specialized hanger

turtles make me hot
    I keep buying Specialized hangers at 22 bucks a pop.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Maybe consider going single speed. Or if you can make a shark fin to protect the rear derailer to.
    The worst is feeling the highest of highs, but always feeling the lowest of the lows.

It's all a dream...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406 View Post
    Maybe consider going single speed. Or if you can make a shark fin to protect the rear derailer to.
    i never seen one of these on a bike . i get the idea but do you have any pics ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    All great answers... I guess maybe my number's up.
    Funny. I used to ride with a group of 5 guys and one guy would break a hanger every couple of months. We all rode the same trails but only this one guy would have these problems. He broke 3-4 hangers and at least 1 derailleur per year. It was rare for us to do more than two 2-hour rides without him having to straighten his hanger.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

you need your listening ears!

Op, I've been riding a very long time and have never had a stick wreck my derailleur. It's not because I've not had plenty of sticks caught in the back either. What you need to do is pay attention! You need to listen for the sound of something 'not quite right' coming from the back end. Stop, pull the damn stick out, keep riding!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

turtles make me hot
    dru... It happens in an instant. By the time I hear a sound, it's too late. I've been riding bikes a lot of years. This isn't my first squaredance.
    I like turtles

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Alright I'll beleive you....

it's just that a buddy of mine just the other day tried to keep riding along with a big stick in his wheel until I told hime to STOP!

just so happens he ripped an XTR off just last year.

I've been very lucky I guess, and you have not been.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Huckin' trails
    My hanger was weird....

Last year got a 12 stairs drop, the RD swing in the spokes and the RD twisted like a piece of paper... the cage had a twist of about 180° from top to bottom, but the hanger was on a little bended... I mange to scoot to the lbs where they untwisted my RD and straight up my hanger... 2 months later, same place, 3 strairs drop and the hanger just snap right off and the RD back in the spokes... I since changed both for a X7 and new hanger and now I've put the old RD on a new trail bike I'm building...

Here's the pic... still have to get it more straight...

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Throw that thing away. It'll never shift right twisted that way and if you are able to twist it straight it'll more than likely have a lot of slop.

Huckin' trails
    Nope, it will still work... it got to.

Till I get enough money for a new one, this one's better hold up

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Nope, it will still work... it got to.

Till I get enough money for a new one, this one's better hold up

David
    Just keep your ears wide open for that twisting popping metal sound and your fingers on the brakes. At that angle it won't take much to push the cage into the spokes.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Just keep your ears wide open for that twisting popping metal sound and your fingers on the brakes. At that angle it won't take much to push the cage into the spokes.
    Oh, it already does when try to put it on the first cog... I still have to straight it up... But will also dial the hanger... Fixin' stuff is always fun.

David

Sent from my iPhone while bikin'

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Oh, it already does when try to put it on the first cog... I still have to straight it up... But will also dial the hanger... Fixin' stuff is always fun.

David

Sent from my iPhone while bikin'
    Yes, the hanger looks twisted a bit as well. You need one of these:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WHY Do Sticks Keep Tearing Off My Rear Derailler?-dag1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One thing to consider is the effects of changing to breakaway hangers. These are designed to act like fuses and break before something else breaks off first. To do their job they have to be weaker than the RD or dropout/stay joint.

That means we're trading a strong arrangement that rarely broke with one that will break much more easily. It's probably a good trade off, saving RDs and frames, but will mean failure more often.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    One thing to consider is the effects of changing to breakaway hangers. These are designed to act like fuses and break before something else breaks off first. To do their job they have to be weaker than the RD or dropout/stay joint.

That means we're trading a strong arrangement that rarely broke with one that will break much more easily. It's probably a good trade off, saving RDs and frames, but will mean failure more often.
    "Trading"? Didn't that happen like 15 year ago? replaceable (and weak link) derailleur hangers have been on all my bikes (Cannondale, Trek, Marin, Turner) for at least that long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast