mtbr member

Why do Deore and Acera 9spd shifters look the same?

I have a bike with 9spd Deore m590 shifters. Yesterday I built a bike for a friend with 9spd Acera shifters and noticed they looked a whole lot like my Deore shifters. I haven't ridden her new bike much, but from just riding around a little I can't tell any difference in shifting between the two.

Here's the question: Is there any real difference on the inside? Are any of you familiar enough with the internal parts of both to be able to point out where there is a definite difference in quality between the two? Is this just Shimano marketing BS? When Deore went to 10spd it looks like they repackaged the Deore as an Acera. And please don't reply by saying that the difference is "quality" or that one will last longer. Please be specific.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why do Deore and Acera 9spd shifters look the same?-slm390-pair-shifters-wm.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    They are probably built with a lot of re-used components, but looking at the front upshift lever, they may not be 2-way push/pull. I built a bike for a family member last year with Alivio 9-speed and thought the same thing, very similar to M590. I opened them up and there were a few differences, but not a huge deal, specifically, a plastic arm was for the indicator was present on the M590, but missing on the Alivio. As far as longevity, I have yet to ever wear a shifter out, I have used all flavors of Shimano...

mtbr member
    I just checked the bike with the Acera and you're right. The upshift ever is not a 2-way release on the Acera.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Altus, Acera, Alivio range shifts surprisingly well when new but wears out very quickly in my experience. The internals are all plastic even plastic bushings rather than metal or bearings and it gets sloppy and imprecise feeling after a few thousand KM. I had 8 speed Alivio on a flat bar beater bike I used for commuting, knocking about with the kids etc (doing about 200Km per week about; after 2500Km ~ 3000Km the rear shifter was getting soft. Changed it all to a mix of LX Deore and SLX 9 speed and it's still going strong (on the wifes bike now)
    They may have improved it going to 9 speed - I don't know but it's still cheap.