mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Why are chain guides so expensive and what do I need to keep my chain in place?

First, just as an observation, chain guides and chain retention devices seem a bit overpriced. I cannot justify spending $150 for a chain guide. But that is a small complaint.

I am running 1x9 on a hardtail. The frame has ISCG 05 mounts. I currently have a bashguard on the outside, but my chain keeps falling to the inside. What sort of set-up do I need in order to keep it in place? What would be considered overkill?

mtbr member

Re: Why are chain guides so expensive and what do I need to keep my chain in place?

N-Gear Jumpstop works well on hardtails if you're running a bash ring (as you are). Google it...I think they're about $12.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    THIS^^^^

I know for some really rough applications, this might not work, but I've been running the bash/jumpstop combo on a HT for about 4 years and the only time I've ever lost a chain was when the jumpstop got knocked out of alignment in a crash. Other than that, not a single chain drop. Not one.

Just make sure you shorten the chain as much as much as you can.

Why are chain guides so expensive and what do I need to keep my chain in place?-p1010009.jpg
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Some put a bashguard on both sides of the chainring, making a bashwich. Though the above suggestion is also likely to solve your problem.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Some put a bashguard on both sides of the chainring, making a bashwich. Though the above suggestion is also likely to solve your problem.
    Good point!

I think the bashwich idea is very elegant when it fits, because it also provides protection from the chain coming off all the way around the chainring, rather than in just one place. However, it won't fit on all bikes. I wanted to do this on the bike pictured, but a 32t bash in the small ring position could not clear the chainstay.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Third on the N-gear bit. Cheap, light, works well. Jump Stop + un-ramped ring (if you've not already got one) and bash on the outside works very well in most cases on hardtail.

Many years of riding all sorts of chunky and rowdy trails on my hardtails, and that setup worked very well with on the once in a very rare derailment.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    $12 plus $6 shipping for a 1/16th inner BBG bashguard. Give it a try - works great and looks good.

mtbr member
    All good suggestions. If you want the lightest, best looking solution, you could also try one of our Drop-Stop chainrings. They are designed to work with clutch-type rear derailleurs but we have been doing some experimenting with non-clutch and it is working well so far. Obviously will never be as reliable as with a clutch-type but for 9-speed, you don't really have that option.
    May or may not suit your needs/budget but it is an elegant solution compared to some others...
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Running an E13 XCX I05 on a 9 speed hard tail with a Zee RD. Yes you can run 9 speed with a clutch: 9 speed SRAM shifter with Shimano Dynasys RD. No bash, never drops a chain. Drive train Nirvana.