mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Who rides FSA v-drive or Afterburner MEGAEXO???

I'm looking into buying one of these two and was wanting some opinions from the owners of each. It's for an XC rig (Giant NRS). Any opinions???

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i have the V-drive MegaExo on my XTC2. it's a good value, relatively cheap, solid crankset. stiff, but not overly light. i like it for its value.

on my NRS i have the K-Force crankset. fortunately i bought it secondhand making it top value, but 'new', these are crazy money. but in comparison, a very nice crankset. Afterburner is inbetween, but i've not used them.

i don't see any significant functional difference between them. but i would choose Afterburner if you can afford them, and prefer something a little more lightweight.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Afterburner

I have the Afterburner. It's a great value for a lightweight hollow forged XC crank, the new 06 MegaExo version is easy to install and the chainrings look hot... heh. I have not tried the V-Drive.

I have also used Afterburners (ISIS and MegaExo) as freeride cranks with polycarbonate bash rings and 32t chainring. Also excellent for this use. A lot of the FSA sponsored DH racers use the Afterburner instead of the Gravity because it is so light, but still strong enough for moderate abuse.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by gecho4
    I'm looking into buying one of these two and was wanting some opinions from the owners of each. It's for an XC rig (Giant NRS). Any opinions???

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I still haven't come to a decision. I was all set on spending the extra 100 for the afterburners till I read a posting saying that they're actually in 1000g's. I'm seeing a lot of conflicting weights on these 2. The v-drives seem to be from 966-988 and the afterburners I'm really unsure. The FSA website has them posted at 980 and that other posting had them at over a 1000. So if the afterburners are heavier what's their advantage? Can anyone verify the afterburner MEGAEXO weight? Thanks in advance.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Website is probably accurate

I could weigh mine if you want, it's hanging on a frame right now.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by gecho4
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I still haven't come to a decision. I was all set on spending the extra 100 for the afterburners till I read a posting saying that they're actually in 1000g's. I'm seeing a lot of conflicting weights on these 2. The v-drives seem to be from 966-988 and the afterburners I'm really unsure. The FSA website has them posted at 980 and that other posting had them at over a 1000. So if the afterburners are heavier what's their advantage? Can anyone verify the afterburner MEGAEXO weight? Thanks in advance.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer

No good

I got the FSA Afterburner Megaexo crankset myself from Ebay.I think they where OEM mounted to a Cannondale. I got those cranks for real cheap and I'm glad they wasn't that expensive.I bought them to replace my XT outboard cranks with some lighter crankarms.
    No way, I just keep the XT's and those FSA are ging to my Dirtjumpbike.
    Why?See yourself in the picture.Note that all chainrings exept the biggest are made of steel.
    Later RaD
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    V drives are on sale for $135 if that helps you any http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?m....99&StartRow=1
    I just ordered some so I'm not sure if their any good yet. Their going on an jekyll set up for all mountain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the picuters RaD. Those were the ones that I had seen before and made me worry. If you wouldn't mind waying yours JMH I'd really appreciate it since I'm sure that the steel chainrings and any other steel parts really make a difference when compared to the aftermarket cranks. THanks.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    As I said the crank pictured are OEM and maybe are not the final production version if this makes any sence.
    I hope that the actual version of those cranks
    will be lighter and I'm curious to see the weight from JMH's cranks too.

Later
    RaD

Philze

V Drive vs LX

How does these compare to the new LX crankset?
    [SIZE=5]Aaron T. Collins[/SIZE]