mtbr member
    Apr 2005

who makes 2 x 9 cranks

My son wants to turn his stump jumper carbon comp into a 2x 9. So we are trying to find a Crank set that is light and reasonale price XT range. Weight is important to him he went rigid and put mavic slrs on it and is curruntly running 1x9. The bike is sub 20 lbs with the stock low end crank and bottom bracket with one chain ring. He runs 170's and xx is out of his price range. Any suggestions?

AZ
    banned
    Add a second chainring to the existing crankset ?

mtbr member
    what crankset is he currently running? The least expensive dedicated 2x9 crank that is fairly light is the FSA afterburner. If the crankset you have now cannot accomodate another chainring, then you could always get a truvativ stylo 3 ring crank and drop a chainring off of that.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Next year everyone is going to have double chain ring cranksets. As of right now your best bet is the FSA Afterburner or use any triple crankset but with one ring missing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    We would prefer to have a dedicated 2x so we can change the gearing up a little. He never uses the 22 and some times uses the 44 but can spin out the middle ring some times the way the xx is set up seems to be a nice comprimise for those just in case situations other wise a 1 x is almost right on. we are heading to the mountains for a while so he might need that little bit of help. He can do long steep mid west climbs with no problem in his current set up. Were can I find one of the fsa cranks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    You can buy FSA gear at almost every store online or in your area. You'll probably have to order it but any decent store can get it for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the help. didnt think about google,duh. Any other ideas besides fsa I had a warranty night mare with them last summer, had no road bike for all of aug and sept due to there slug like service,

AZ
    banned
    Shimano SLX double , but its 22 x 36 .

mtbr member
    FSA Afterburner dbl 880ish g. Cheapest option.
    FSA carbon 386 dbl 740ish g. Expensive.
    Rotor dbl 740g with light round TA rings, ti. axle, xtr bb and bolts.
    Lightning. See Nino's thread.
    XX 10 speed double 754g.
    Hollowgram 614g for BB30 double. You can get an adapter for normal BB frames.
    KCNC. Smallest ring is a 29.
    Middleburn. Old style bottom brackets. There's supposed to be a new crankset coming.
    Stronglight.
    FRM.
    Clavicula. Too expensive. 29 tooth chainring is the smallest size possible.
    Control tech double play.

Like I said, next year Shimano, Sram and I'm sure Race Face will all have double chainring cranksets options. If you need one now I'd get the FSA or save your pennies for XX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Always best to get rings, derailleurs, chains, crankset that are designed to work together. Otherwise chainsuck, overshifting, etc. YMMV.

For a homemade double setup the most interesting one I ever saw was on Voilloz's MegaAvalanche bike. He took a Shimano road triple crank 30-39-deleted 52, and instead had a bashguard in the outer position. I think you could also get a 42 for the mid position.
    I don't know how he had the chainline setup especially with the 73mm BB shell (maybe his was 68) but he likely had some custom spacers on the spindle. You'll probably have to push it out to the driveside so the rings don't interfere with the chainstays. He might not have had full insertion of the spindle on the driveside to get it to work...I don't know. But if you picked up a cheap road triple crank. At least the ring pairing should work decently together. Shifting was likely still a mess though with a random front derailleur..

Point is good luck getting mis-matched rings to not chainsuck on a homemade setup and if they don't suck you'll likely have downshift issues -chain jumping off, riding on teeth, etc.