Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Who Breaks Powerlinks/Quicklinks?

After breaking my chain this past week, I've realized the only place I don't break my chain is at the quicklinks, yet people complain about breaking them.

I think I'd rather have my quicklinks break because then you just throw a new one in an ride. No need for a chain tool.

Instead, I'm blowing apart links and sideplates that require a tool to remove.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    only chuck norris regularly breaks powerlinks...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

bi-winning
    Are you using Sram chains?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Rub it............
    I've broken a few chains, but never at the powerlink.

Former Bike Wrench
    Been using powerlinks for over 10 years...not one single failure (only chain failures were two SRAM PC-69/971 chains in a row).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've broken plenty of them. KMC, Wipperman, SRAM. And broken my chain at other locations too. In some instances, it was because I was power-shifting like a mad fool (in-traffic acceleration or race-mode acceleration on the trail) but in others it was routine shifts under no particular load. Some were new, some were middle-aged, some were old.

I was talking with our regional Shimano tech rep and inquired why they stopped offering master links on the Dura-Ace 7900 road chains. He said that they tend to wear in Shimano's endurance testing, faster than the rest of the chain, sometimes resulting in clicking, and they decided to stick with their usual connecting-pin setup for new chains. He said it's quite understandable to use a quick-link as a trailside repair, just not the best solution for longevity.

I think I'd rather have my quicklinks break because then you just throw a new one in an ride. No need for a chain tool.
    Generally I'd agree. One of the worst master-link failures I had, however, resulted in the chain recoiling, snagging the rear wheel, and tearing my rear derailleur in half. This was on my road-commuting bike. The chain and master link were at about 3000 miles, but still in very good condition due to relentless daily maintenance.

mtbr member

What would Sheldon Brown say?

Well I've never managed to break a SRAM Powerlink, even with plenty of abuse.

And as a disciple of the late, great Sheldon Brown, I can't help wondering what the guru would have to say on this matter?
    So, inspired by Sheldon's now legendary ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System, I've decided to build a chain composed entirely of PowerLinks. Well, obviously only every 2nd link, but you get the gist
    Should be near indestructible I reckon.
    Brisbane, AU

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Very interesting discussion. I've never broken a Powerlink either, and I've used them for at least the last 6 years. I've blown apart a chain probably twice a year, though.

I'm finally giving a high-end chain a try: A CN-7701 XTR/Dura-Ace. I cringed a little at the $50 price tag but if its allows me to sleep at night and ride all day, that's all that matters.

KMC Powerlink holding it together, SRAM Powerlink tapped to my seatpost.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Dblpost

mtbr member
    Been using powerlink or some other brand version since '95 or so. never broken one. Broken only one chanin ever only cause I dumb crosschain shifted. used a chain tool, took out the broken side plates and use another powerlink and took off. I dunno if mybe i am less "brute force" or shift a little more carefully I do not know. Powerlinks are the bomb!! For me anyway.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've broken one. The side plate broke.

When I installed the chain, I wasn't sure if it was an old one I was saving for a trail repair or a new one. After it failed, I decided it must have been an old one. Doubt they are designed to last longer than one chain.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    I've broken one. The side plate broke.

When I installed the chain, I wasn't sure if it was an old one I was saving for a trail repair or a new one. After it failed, I decided it must have been an old one. Doubt they are designed to last longer than one chain.
    New chain...new Powerlink

Old ones go in the repair kit for temporary trailside repairs (usually other riders so I don't get them back).

mbtr member
    I've broken a few, actually, and don't use them any more. I've had them pop open on the trail twice, ripped the side plate off one, and had the part the pin grabs shear off. Maybe it's the user, but they seem to croak more frequently than any of the other 100 links. I'm a real statistical outlier for power output, so that could be a factor too.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i only use powerlinks to test out chain sizing or for my commuter bike...i only ride with shimano chains on my xc and dh bikes...i've broken like three powerlinked chains and got the message
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006