locked - time out
    Jan 2008

White Industries VBC Mountain Cranks Question

Quite frankly, I'm just not sure how that is possible. How does a crankset with only one ring have a wider Q factor?

And, my stays measure 130mm across. Going with their formula, I should be fine. I have 10mm of space between my NDS chainstay and 15mm between my DS chainstay. Q-factor on my current cranks is ~175mm. The crankarms themselves measure about 10mm thick. 175 - (15mm + 10mm +10mm + 10mm) = 130mm. Good.

So, either they have their numbers switched, or they just make a very odd product. I'd use these with 38/26 gearing, so I don't think the chainrings hitting the stays will be an issue, but their math has me wondering what else might be wrong.

From the White Industries website:

Bottom bracket: The ENO crank is designed with an extremely low Q factor: 160mm ENO; 142mm for VBC. With a 68mm BB shell we recommend a 113mm square tapered bottom bracket, however, some frames have wider chainstays and need a longer BB. By simply taking a few measurements on your frame you can determine a suitable BB spindle length for your frame. First measure from the center of the BB shell back along the chainstay 180mm. At that point, measure across the stays. Your measurement should be from the outside of the stay to the opposing outside stay. If the measurement is 135mm or less, use a 113mm BB. If your measurement is higher than 135mm, then add the difference to the base 113mm to determine you BB length. For instance, if the chainstay measurement is 140mm then the BB length would be 118mm.
    http://www.whiteind.com/techcorner/c...tructions.html

mtbr member
    I'd ask them...

info@whiteind.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The website is wrong. The Q-factor for the Mountain VBC crank is 160mm. The VBC Road is different product I think.

You should not have any problem with chainrings hitting the chainstay with the VBC Mountain crank. I am using it on a Giant Trance 2005 frame with 2mm of clearance. That is with 113mm spindle BB.

Regards,
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by duke of kent
    Quite frankly, I'm just not sure how that is possible. How does a crankset with only one ring have a wider Q factor?

And, my stays measure 130mm across. Going with their formula, I should be fine. I have 10mm of space between my NDS chainstay and 15mm between my DS chainstay. Q-factor on my current cranks is ~175mm. The crankarms themselves measure about 10mm thick. 175 - (15mm + 10mm +10mm + 10mm) = 130mm. Good.

So, either they have their numbers switched, or they just make a very odd product. I'd use these with 38/26 gearing, so I don't think the chainrings hitting the stays will be an issue, but their math has me wondering what else might be wrong.

From the White Industries website:

http://www.whiteind.com/techcorner/c...tructions.html