mtbr member

Where's the hole - Shimano rear shifter not behaving...

Just recabling the bike... should be simple... "should" being the operative word there.

Okay, here's where I'm stuck:
    - Shifter in 9th position - meaning, I clicked the lever several times 'till it stopped. This was confirmed audibly (clicking stopped) and visually (looking in the access hole, the mechanism stopped)

But: The hole where the cable goes and the head seats is not visible - it looks like it has to come around a couple more clicks. I can see the back side of the white plastic piece where you feed the cable and the head seats... but it's not coming around enough to feed the cable through.

Either:
    A. My shifter is *#$&ed and I need to replace it (but it worked perfectly prior to recabling)
    B. I have far less mechanical skills than I assumed.

Guide me! What am I missing here?

Thanks.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I vote for B

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    Just recabling the bike... should be simple... "should" being the operative word there.

- Shifter in 9th position - meaning, I clicked the lever several times 'till it stopped. This was confirmed audibly (clicking stopped) and visually (looking in the access hole, the mechanism stopped)

But: The hole where the cable goes and the head seats is not visible - it looks like it has to come around a couple more clicks. I can see the back side of the white plastic piece where you feed the cable and the head seats... but it's not coming around enough to feed the cable through.

Either:
    A. My shifter is *#$&ed and I need to replace it (but it worked perfectly prior to recabling)

Thanks.
    try shifting the other way

mtbr member
    Well damn Dano. Give me a little credit I tried that. I've shifted, reshifted, upshifted, downshifted... held one lever while pushing/pulling the other (does nothing by the way)

I used a small screwdriver to try to "coax" the guide further along while shifting in the (ghost) gears - 10th, 11th, 12th... That also does nothing

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Well damn Dano. Give me a little credit I tried that. I've shifted, reshifted, upshifted, downshifted... held one lever while pushing/pulling the other (does nothing by the way)

I used a small screwdriver to try to "coax" the guide further along while shifting in the (ghost) gears - 10th, 11th, 12th... That also does nothing
    try squirting a little oil into the shift pod and working it up and down the gears a couple of times. I've had good luck with finish line wet lube( the stuff in the spray can foams and will fill up into the nooks and crannies)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's probably B, but check for A just in case.

Operate the thumb lever to see if you get the 8 clicks. Click the trigger-finger lever to zero it whilst counting down the 8 clicks - its not broken if you get all 8.

It may be that the mechanism has just spun a little bit past where it should have stopped.

In that case, keep slight pressure on the thumb lever to spin the cable retaining hole into view whilst threading the cable.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Either:

Thanks.

make and model of shifter???

mtbr member
    Got it. I had to coax a little harder than expected - just well... forced it to come around and it popped into the 9th spot. Just back from a ride and all's well.

Thanks guys!