nocturnal oblivion

Where to go for a 36t cog?

Anyone have buying experience? Looking for a 36t addition for a Shimano type freehub.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Check your LBS. Stick with 9 speed if you are already there.

nocturnal oblivion
    I was thinking of dropping the 11t.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    MTBtools on ebay has em in SS for $29. Action Tec in titanium for considerably more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    I was thinking of dropping the 11t.
    Assuming you have a normal shimano 11-32 cassette, because of the way the lockring fits you wont be able to drop the 11t. You would have to drop the 12t, and youll have a big jump from your 11 to your 14. Since you can sacrifice the 11t, it probably makes more sense to buy an HG-61 12-36t cassette. They arent much more than the steel 36t cog by itself. Thats what I did with my 1x9, but I also kept the old 11t cog and lockring on my new cassette.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by bengxe
    Assuming you have a normal shimano 11-32 cassette, because of the way the lockring fits you wont be able to drop the 11t. You would have to drop the 12t, and youll have a big jump from your 11 to your 14. Since you can sacrifice the 11t, it probably makes more sense to buy an HG-61 12-36t cassette. They arent much more than the steel 36t cog by itself. Thats what I did with my 1x9, but I also kept the old 11t cog and lockring on my new cassette.
    Interesting. I have an 11-34 right now. I don't see why the lockring wouldn't be able to clamp the 12t after I remove the 11t though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Interesting. I have an 11-34 right now. I don't see why the lockring wouldn't be able to clamp the 12t after I remove the 11t though.
    The 11t cog is shaped differently to fit against the lock ring. I know Shimano sells replacement 12t cogs that are designed to be used in the first position, but I'm not sure about SRAM. Maybe you could mod something to make it work though. What cassette do you have now?

Actually, if you have an 11-34t your first cogs are 11t-13t

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    MTBtools also has lockrings that will work with 12 tooth cogs

nocturnal oblivion
    Sram 11-34 (model 9.0 if that means anything). I'll pull it and have a look. Seems like 90% of the trails I ride are technical enough that I never make it into the 11t for very long. Running 1x9 the 12-36 may be just right.

nocturnal oblivion
    Comes out to about $50. Me thinks it'd be better to wait and get a new cassette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My HG-61 was about $42 after shipping. The individual 36t cogs really only make sense if youre using it with a higher end cassette to save weight.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    The 11t cog is shaped differently to fit against the lock ring. I know Shimano sells replacement 12t cogs that are designed to be used in the first position, but I'm not sure about SRAM. Maybe you could mod something to make it work though. What cassette do you have now?

Actually, if you have an 11-34t your first cogs are 11t-13t
    I've used a lockring against the 12t in an 11-32 cassette and it works just fine. I used a 36t I got on e-bay that looked good, but was made from stainless steel and was simply too soft. I'd recommend either finding a heat treated cro-mo or the ActionTec model.