mtbr member

Where to find a new 9 speed triple crank?

Hey all,

I'm helping my sister rebuild her old touring bike, we want to upgrade it to 9 speed to get access to more cassette selection, it's 7 right now with biopace ring'd cranks that are pretty worn out. We could swap the rings on the cranks but it would be nice to get cranks with the correct chainring spacing. Could any of you direct me to where I could get a NOS 9 speed crank? The only one's I've found are very low end shimano, a FSA vero crankset (that get's poor review), middleburn (which are quite expensive!) and a sugino 600, which is 8 speed spaced and not ideal...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Why NOS? Jenson USA has a new Shimano Alivio for $39.99 and it comes as square tapered. Alivio can be considered low end but there's nothing wrong with it unless you're worried about weight. If you are worried about weight then you'll have to spend some cash to get something lighter.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    Hey all,

I'm helping my sister rebuild her old touring bike, we want to upgrade it to 9 speed to get access to more cassette selection, it's 7 right now with biopace ring'd cranks that are pretty worn out. We could swap the rings on the cranks but it would be nice to get cranks with the correct chainring spacing. Could any of you direct me to where I could get a NOS 9 speed crank? The only one's I've found are very low end shimano, a FSA vero crankset (that get's poor review), middleburn (which are quite expensive!) and a sugino 600, which is 8 speed spaced and not ideal...
    Jenson has at least a dozen 3x9 cranksets. Not all have "3x9" in the description.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Lots of option on the triple cranks. I put a Sugino triple on my old Raleigh road bike, lets me run down to 24t in the small ring and that is set up better for a road/touring bike chain line. Or you can go with a MTB crank, that may shove the chain line out about 5mm..I am running a 9sp. SRAM chain on that bike, although it has a 7sp freewheel in back.

Some good info below:
    - Harris Cyclery Cranks and Cranksets for Bicycles
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-17-2012 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Good point. I'm not set on NOS, a new crank would work well too. The rest of the bike is comprised of nicer parts than those alivio cranks, so I was hoping to aim higher.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Deore is a good price point if you find them on sale. I got a set with bottom bracket a couple of months ago for under $60.
    Just as a FYI, if your rear wheel is a 7 speed freehub, you can't put a 9 speed freehub on it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    Why NOS? Jenson USA has a new Shimano Alivio for $39.99 and it comes as square tapered. Alivio can be considered low end but there's nothing wrong with it unless you're worried about weight. If you are worried about weight then you'll have to spend some cash to get something lighter.
    I got an Alivio 9 speed crank for my wife's town bike. It is Octalink. Really nice, IMO.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.