mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Where to find crankset (chainline) spacers???

Does anyone know where to find crankset spacers (the ones you would use to adjust chainline) for external bearing bottom brackets?
    I am looking for the 1 mm spacers and seal used between the crankset and bottom bracket, seems like a somewhat universal part (mine is for a RaceFace Evolve set). LBS tells me to buy a new crankset, imagine that. Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Adding spacers isn't necessarily the way to go, curious, what chainline problems are you having?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ups and downs
    The 1mm Race Face spacers are likely most easily obtained from Race Face, they can toss one in an envelope. components@raceface.com or call them at 604-527-9996

Your LBS sounds kinda useless...
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not necessarily a chainline issue, rather, at some point there was some play that developed in the crankset, and overtime, the rubber coating on the spacers and seal become damaged, resulting in a larger problem (more play). Obviously, the problem gets exponential worse with any loss of material, resulting in more play. Thanks for the help.

Rub it............
    If there is play in the BB due to the crank being loose, adding new spacers is only a band-aid to the actual problem.

You need to replace the bottom bracket and have the crankset installed PROPERLY with the crank arm torqued to the proper specification.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The rubber coated 1mm spindle spacers, seals, and the preload elastomer (o-ring) that you are refering to are specific to RF cranks. No other external crank uses them. You will need to get them from RF.

BTW, it sounds a lot like you might have movement between the arm and bb spindle (not uncommon)...that is not something that spacers will help. If this is the case, you need to talk to RF about having the cranks warrantied.