Ninja Please
    Jan 2004

When is should you replace your chain?

I have a 04 Stinky with the original chain still on it. I keep it fairly clean and always lubed. As for my riding, I ride mostly trails and some urban. In the summer I ride 2 to 4 times a week. A buddy of mine keeps telling me to replace my chain but it looks and works like it did when I first got the bike. So should I get a new one for this summer?

Formerly DMR For Life

Good explanation via that link. Just recognize that once your chain has been elongated for a while it will prematurely wear your cassette and chainrings too. Waiting too long to replace a chain for $ reasons will usually backfire for the reason that cassettes and chainrings are very expensive compared to a chain...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Waiting too long to replace a chain for $ reasons will usually backfire for the reason that cassettes and chainrings are very expensive compared to a chain...
    I have lived this sad fable twice in 2 years.

I'm much more dilligent about swapping chains now.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie
    I have a 04 Stinky with the original chain still on it. I keep it fairly clean and always lubed. As for my riding, I ride mostly trails and some urban. In the summer I ride 2 to 4 times a week. A buddy of mine keeps telling me to replace my chain but it looks and works like it did when I first got the bike. So should I get a new one for this summer?
    Go to your LBS and buy a park tools chain wear gauge. It is around 7 bucks, it will tell you if your chain is ready to be changed. you just place it on your chain and if it touches all the way across then it is stretched and needs replacing etc. Simple and works like a charm. Later on, JC
    On one gear fixed or free is where I want to be.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JC2niner
    Go to your LBS and buy a park tools chain wear gauge. It is around 7 bucks, it will tell you if your chain is ready to be changed. you just place it on your chain and if it touches all the way across then it is stretched and needs replacing etc. Simple and works like a charm. Later on, JC
    Even simpler is a 12" ruler. Even cheaper, and works like a charm as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.