mtbr member
    Mar 2013

When to retire a crankset?

I have a lot of time on my current XTR trail crankset, current generation. But the ends had struck rocks many times and it has lots of other scratches from hard use. Approaching 2.5 years of age. In the past I rarely kept a bike that long because I had only one and rode the crap out of them and replaced them annually or semi annually. It is on its third set of rings. I am retiring the fork soon as it has seen better days and I like to retire forks as a failure can be critical. Bars too. But cranks? I am not at all worried about a catastrophic failure. More that the pedal may strip out from the abuse the cranks have had.

Any thoughts out there on this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Doesn't sound like anythings wrong with it, are you wanting to replace it because it looks used?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It doesn't just look used, it is used. I have broken cranks before but they were relatively new and warranted. I have seen guys rip out pedals or have the crank end split open. I don't really care too much how used something looks. Looks better in some instances than a bike that gets no use. I was just curious if other riders have ridden a crank past its best before date and broken some part of it. I do hate breaking something when I am out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cranks don't have an expiration date. Use them until they get damaged or you want something else. Most of my bikes have cranks that are older then the frame except for an early 90s steel rigid that has the original cranks. All of them have gouges and scars but are perfectly functional.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Most cases when a crankset get replaced is to change from 3 chainrings to 2 or 1 (or vice-versa) or to save weight.

mtbr member
    I would think that you'd be concerned about a breakage due to use. I would hazard a guess that the heavier the rider, the more likely that a component is going to break. Since the crank supports the rider's weight, I would think that a crank that would break would break more often under a clyde rider than a non-clyde rider.

Having said that, I've never broken a crank at my 260lbs weight, haven't seen a thread in the Clyde forum about breaking a crank, and have no concerns about breaking a crank.

I would say only replace if you're worried about aesthetics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Man you guys aren't much use. How will I tell the wife that I had to retire those for an XX1 crank.