mtbr member
    Jul 2005

When PD-M540 pedal bearings wear out, can you replace with XT or XTR parts? Better?

Just like the subject line says. Wondering if the XT or XTR bearings are better than the M540 so when your 540 bearings wear out, can you "upgrade" to the better bearings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Get from a bearing supplier that's all Shimano do - I usually just buy bags of 100 Gr10 SS bearings for the required bike sizes. Note the lower number of the grade of a bearing the better quality it is. Gr 10 is more than adequate for stuff like pedals and wheel bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 540/770/970 all use a similar cartidge bearing or cartridge style. I don't think they are sealed but I can't recall. Anyhow. Thanks for the info re the grade of bearing. Wait, so lower number equals better or other way around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes but doesn't look any better/different.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830625590.pdf
    Shows interchangeable between 540, 959, 970.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just overhauled my XT clipless pedals - not sure which model number and they are loose cup n cone bearings not cartridge type.

The lower the grade number the finer the manufacturing tolerances more spherical they are - i think they go from 1000 to 3 or something. the price starts ramping up quite drastically below grade 10, (all the bearings below 10 at our local shop are ceramic not steel). Grade 25 are OK for bikes too - I think that's what dura ace and campy spec in their hubs, the only reason I got grade 10 was because - the local supplier doesn't stock the Grade 25 ones I wanted. You can use either grade 440C stainless steel or chromed steel balls

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, thanks. I guess I'll remember for when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just got done redoing mine. They do use a cone and cup bearing setup which brings up the point that Shimano do not adjust the M540 correctly out of the box. There is no pre-load on the bearings. They are wobbly! There needs to bee just a little for cup-cone / angular contact bearing to work right.

Also note that the 17mm nut that takes it all apart on the drive side pedal is reverse threaded.