mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Whats wrong with my drivetrain?

I have a hardrock sport 07 and have noticed a couple of problems with it during the past couple rides and a race today.

1. Chain keeps falling off while on the small sprocket in the front

2. When im riding thru the trail, over bumps/etc. My chain/rear derailleur is making alot of rattling noise, like its too loose and flopping around. It was making alot more noise than others riding with me.

Today makes my 3rd ride from getting it back from the shop where it got the 90 day tune up. But I have always had these problems since day one.

What can I do to resolve these issues? Is my chain to long?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit390
    I have a hardrock sport 07 and have noticed a couple of problems with it during the past couple rides and a race today.

1. Chain keeps falling off while on the small sprocket in the front

prob. limit adjuster on front deraillier, put it in small front , large rear
    turn the limit screw closest to you to move the front derallier close to the chain (1/16 -1/8 ")

2. When im riding thru the trail, over bumps/etc. My chain/rear derailleur is making alot of rattling noise, like its too loose and flopping around. It was making alot more noise than others riding with me.
    could be the spring is gone on the rear deraillier, or just the normal low end shimano weak deraillier, if its shifting fine , dont worry about it

Today makes my 3rd ride from getting it back from the shop where it got the 90 day tune up. But I have always had these problems since day one.

What can I do to resolve these issues? Is my chain to long?
    could be, put it in big, big rings, is the deraillier almost straight out or is there still alot of play available?

Try putting your chain on the middle or large ring when you're not climbing, will put more tension on the chain and keep it from flopping around so much.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just went thru all the gears and notice it will only go thru gear 1 - 5 in the rear (outmost sprocket to inside). Meaning it won't go to the other 3 inside gears in the rear.

When I choose gear one it goes to the 5th sprocket in the rear (outmost sprocket to inside) to where I choose gear 5 it goes to the smallest sprocket in the rear and 6 - 8 does nothing.

What do I need to do to fix this issue?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I just went thru all the gears and notice it will only go thru gear 1 - 5 in the rear (outmost sprocket to inside). Meaning it won't go to the other 3 inside gears in the rear.

When I choose gear one it goes to the 5th sprocket in the rear (outmost sprocket to inside) to where I choose gear 5 it goes to the smallest sprocket in the rear and 6 - 8 does nothing.

What do I need to do to fix this issue?
    either bent deraillier hanger, or out of adjustment rear deraillier
    have your shop look at it

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what on the rear needs to be adjusted to fix this?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Could be a rock or something in the RD.

You need to check RD hanger alignment.
    Undo cable
    Set limit screws High and Low.
    Move RD by hand from one end off travel to the other, all smooth.
    Connect cable and set tension.

This procedure will indicate where a problem might be.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    what on the rear needs to be adjusted to fix this?
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
    if you cant get it to work with the above adjustments then you might need a new deraillier hanger, or have yours straightened, or you can buy the tool and do it yourself