MK_
    carpe mañana

What's up with the Shimano Hone crankset?

So, I'm shopping around for a budget crankset to put on my new project bike. This is gonna be a stout build to handle urban riding, but based on a reinforced XC frame. Anyway. I was looking at cranksets and came across the Hone crankset. Shimano bills it as an entry level freeride crank? It appears to be in the same category as Saint, however, I am not sure how they're split, I am guessing that saint is more for all out downhill? The reason for this assumption is that Saing is a real boat anchor in weight, while Hone is a half pound lighter. Is Hone capable of taking some punishment? It also is just a bit heavier than XT and about half the price, what gives?

_MK

Team BikeWood

Hone = LX

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    So, I'm shopping around for a budget crankset to put on my new project bike. This is gonna be a stout build to handle urban riding, but based on a reinforced XC frame. Anyway. I was looking at cranksets and came across the Hone crankset. Shimano bills it as an entry level freeride crank? It appears to be in the same category as Saint, however, I am not sure how they're split, I am guessing that saint is more for all out downhill? The reason for this assumption is that Saing is a real boat anchor in weight, while Hone is a half pound lighter. Is Hone capable of taking some punishment? It also is just a bit heavier than XT and about half the price, what gives?

_MK
    The Hone crankset and an LX crankset are exactly the same thing. The Hone just has a different color and is marketed towards the freeride crowd.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Thanks. I knew something was rotten in Denmark. So then, is LX crankset capable of taking some serious punishment?

_MK

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    FWIW, the Hone is supposed to be a somewhat beeffed up LX crank, aimed at the "all mountain" segment, not "freeride" segment. Whatever the "all mountain" segment is. But it is probably just a LX crank with a different color. They cost about the same, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    FWIW, the Hone is supposed to be a somewhat beeffed up LX crank, aimed at the "all mountain" segment, not "freeride" segment. Whatever the "all mountain" segment is. But it is probably just a LX crank with a different color. They cost about the same, right?
    Shimanno's own web site has them listed within a gram of each other and the exact same specs. I'd say they're the same. Get whatever's cheaper or looks better.

Looks like most of the Hone group is rebranded LX (cassette, shifters, DC levers, front hub) and some Saint parts (deraileur, rear hub).

Chrome Toaster
    Hone=LX The standard parts which are not specifically modified are LX with matching colors. Same with Saint=XT for all the rest of non group specific parts.

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Hone=LX The standard parts which are not specifically modified are LX with matching colors. Same with Saint=XT for all the rest of non group specific parts.
    I agree Hone=LX, but Saint=XT? Don't think so.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    I agree Hone=LX, but Saint=XT? Don't think so.
    Take a good look at Saint parts. Other than the specific rear derrailleur, hub, rotors, and cranks the rest is XT with the black color scheme. Even in the shimano descriptions they specify the differences between the two as "matching graphics" for the standard XT parts. Hone is the Heavy duty counterpart to LX and Saint is the heavy duty counterpart to XT.

Slowest Rider

What Hecubus said

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Take a good look at Saint parts. Other than the specific rear derrailleur, hub, rotors, and cranks the rest is XT with the black color scheme. Even in the shimano descriptions they specify the differences between the two as "matching graphics" for the standard XT parts. Hone is the Heavy duty counterpart to LX and Saint is the heavy duty counterpart to XT.
    I agree completely with what was said above. I have Saint 8" brakes and cranks. The cranks are definitely super beefy and another 400+ grams over an XT. They don't bend under my big load like my LX and XTs did on me. They're definitely new for the Saint line.

I initially thought the brakes were also custom, at least beefier metal housing for the calipers for strength and heat dissipation. But looking carefully at the XT I found they were the same except for a black paint job and label. They take the same XT disc pads and XT rotors on my Shimano hub (both a plus for compatibility anyway). The rotors were the only thing different, with a bigger center lock to match the Saint Hubs that I didn't get. So I essentially have a black XT brake. I'm not upset though, the price was near the same anyway, and I like the black color with my ano black Heckler.

It seems that Shimano is doing the same with Hone, making a beefier line with some upgraded parts and some transfered parts from the LX line.. But the transfered parts were good enough for the more aggressive line and not charged more, so I don't think it's a bad thing at all. In fact, it helps compatability and allows more options and combinations.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

it's....
    LX crankset and Hone crankset are practically identical.
    XT and Saint crankset are very different. Main reason why I disagreed.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    LX crankset and Hone crankset are practically identical.
    XT and Saint crankset are very different. Main reason why I disagreed.
    Thats why I stated the cranks were NOT among the similar parts. Saint is not a complete group. The parts that they did specifically design for the group they just took the XT's and changed the color. Take a look at the brake caliper. Its the same as the XT. Only difference is the brake kit brings the saint oversize center lock rotor and 8" mounting adapter instead of the 6" adater on the XT and standard center lock rotor. The hydraulic brake lever is the same as the XT with "matching graphics" according to the description. The Saint STI combo is basically the same as the XT but in black. The rest is just the standard 760 group stuff.