Lets RIDE!

What's this gizmo?

Pardon my ignorance, but it's been a while since I've built a bike and I've never seen one of these before. It came with my Spec. FSRxc Pro frame. It's a black plastic tube, roughly 3" long and 3/32" in diameter, with a rubber seal over one end. I assume it has something to do with the front derailleur cable, because it was tucked into the plastic thing that guides the bare front derailleur cable under the bottom bracket. Not sure how or where to use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yeah, the front derailleur cable goes through this before you run it up over the derailleur.
    I think it's to help keep the cable from rubbing the frame where it goes up behind the bottom bracket.

just saw this while working on my friend's Specialized this morning.
    pretty neat.

Lets RIDE!
    Hmmm...so it goes on the cable below the FD and above the BB? Rubber thing pointing up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    on my friend's bike, assembled at the lbs, yes, it's as you ask -- below the FD, rubber boot up.

his was even bent/threaded a little through the plastic cable guide on the bottom of the frame, but part of it was torn, so I'm not sure exactly how that part's supposed to go.