mtbr member
    Apr 2009

What's the difference between Time ATAC XS or ROC ATAC?

I have inherted bad knees & angles from my dad, and want to minimize harm to them. I want to get into clipless, and from what I've read the Time pedals will be best for my flaky leg joints. I cannot find any information comparing the ATAC XS pedals to the ROC ATAC pedals. What's the difference, besides the ROCs being a little wider?

Also, I read somewhere that some of the more expensive models (maybe the Carbon or the Ti Carbon?) have a tension adjustment. True?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Weight, depending on which "model" you're looking at, and always a price point. The base model XS is 30+ grams lighter than the higher end carbon model ROC...

The steel plates are a difference too. I would think they are there to provide some protection in a heavily abused area on the pedal... or just aesthetics and a few extra grams.

I currently have the Cabon XS and like you have joint issues with both knees and the float is great!

I have no complaints with the entry/exit of the pedals and my knees are much happier with these than any other pedal I've owned.

Hope that helps.

local trails rider
    I have ATAC XS and ROC ATAC Carbon.

ROC has steel bars instead of the aluminum on the ATAC XS. Most likely the steel is more durable in the long term. I've seen complaints about the aluminum bars getting loose (unlike older Time models with steel bars)

ROC shape seems to make clipping in even more foolproof and the slight platform feels more "solid" even under pretty stiff shoes.

Both have adjustment screws. I just checked that they are all at "1" and forgot about it.

I like the ROC better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the ROC ATAC.