mtbr member

New question here. What's the difference between SRAM X0 vs X9 Shifters?

What's the difference between SRAM X0 vs X9 Shifters?

I have X9 and the front is broken. I was thinking of upgrading to XO but I was wondering what is the major difference. I know XO has carbon fiber and is slightly lighter but what else?

thanks.

mtbr member
    I asked this a while back and was told the XO has some lever throw or angle(?) adjustability, plus the XO may have a bearing instead of a bush on the lever axis?

mtbr member
    2012 x9 has the bearings and the adjustable lever also. 2011 X9 uses bushings.

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowducman View Post
    2012 x9 has the bearings and the adjustable lever also. 2011 X9 uses bushings.
    Pretty sure the 2012 X9 still don't have position adjustability.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Pretty sure the 2012 X9 still don't have position adjustability.
    You are correct, no adjust ability. They may have stopped using the bushings in the 9s, but the shift quality is still night and day compared to the X.0. Weight is also a difference between the two.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    so the shift quality is better on X0?
    Is it noticeable difference?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    X0 is a lot of fun, but unnecessary for the average cyclist at large. Unless you have a racing budget, I would recommend X9 to most people. However, out of all the X0 gear, the shifters are probably the most worthwhile. While the X0 & X9 derailleurs play the same, the shifters are slightly different. X0 is noticeably more crisp, while the X9 is slightly numb in comparison. If you've never tried either, just try a bike with X9 first and you wouldn't really know what I'm talking about in terms of numb. They're both great shifters.

Running a X0 drivetrain for about a year now.

mtbr member
    so the responce time is shorter? ie it shifts faster?

derp
    It's not that the shifting is faster but rather that the shifter "feedback" is a lot better on the X0. If these were brakes we would call the X9 shifters "spongy", if you know what i mean.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, that's exactly it. The difference in response time between the two is hardly noticeable, if noticeable at all. It's hard to explain, but danielsilva put it well, "spongy"

In terms of what tier the product is in, X9 and X0 are about the same bracket. Weight differences are minimal and the main difference is the feel of the shifters. The rest is hokum. I got X0 because I wanted to, but it isn't necessary by any means.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I got X0 because I wanted to, but it isn't necessary by any means.
    I agree completely. I went X0 on my newest build and it's great but not necessary. I'd do it again.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    The X0 drivetrain is a lot of fun, but I might try some Shimano drivetrain in the future. The new Saint or an upcoming XTR might be in my interest. In the mean time, the drivetrain has been rather reliable. I had the return spring break once, but it was warrantied without any troubles. I don't enjoy X0 brakes though, I prefer the XTR brakes.

mtbr member
    Wow, good info guys. Just bought a new '11 Superfly 100 that has stock X9 components. I was considering upgrading to XO components, but perhaps my $$$ would be better put towards upgrading the wheelsets.

Thanks for the headsup.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah good wheels are generally one of the best investments that can actually make a noticeable impact on riding. X9 is going to be great.

mtbr member
    The difference is about 70 bucks

derp
    I own both X0 and X9 drivetrainsand i can say that there isn't much difference between the two besides price. I got the X0 for my low weight XC bike and because at the time X0 stuff actually looked great with the different colours available ( yah, bling ) but nowadays the only difference is the colour of the lettering so if i had to buy today i probably would save some cash and go with the X9.

I still miss being able to adjust the shifter level on the X9 though as i'm really picky with my cockpit and i like to set eveything to my taste.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah the little bit of adjustment there is where X0 trumps X9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am just starting to look into converting to 10 speed and I came across this thread. I have 9 speed x9 and x0 and the difference that I have found between the two is that when downshifting it feels like I can shift an extra gear with a single thumb stroke on the x0 setup compared to the x9. Other than that they feel pretty much the same... I wouldn't even say the x0 feels more crisp. I am wondering if the same holds true for the 10 speed stuff (the extra gear change).
    Killing it with close inspection.