Cars Are Evil

What's the deal with 8spd thumbies?

When I worked at a shop I remember seeing something in the QBP catalog about an adapter for making 8spd thumbshifters. Anybody know more? Or have a source of them?

mtbr member
    8 spd thumbies are the holy grail of shifting.

Shimano makes non-indexing thumbies that attach to either the frame or the end of the handlebar, and someone else (i don't know who) makes a conversion kit to mount them like regular shifters.

You could also just find a set of thumbies from an old bike, i'm using a set thats over 10 years old.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

mtbr member
    Paul Component Engineering makes a mount (adapter) that mounts a Shimano 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed barend shifter on the bars. That's about the state of the art as far as thumbshifters go for 8 and 9 speed drivetrains, since the last Shimano thumbshifter made was 7 speed.

mtbr member
    yep im gettin some Pauls thumbies!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I could be off bae here, bu I really remember the XT thumbshifter having an extra click.

mtbr member
    I loved the front friction thumbshifters. No rubbing in any gear. Bomb proof.

mtbr member
    The XT thumbshifters do have the extra click (my Deore thumbshifters also have the extra click).
    The extra click doesn't matter though when you're running them in friction mode so you could run anything from a 2sp to a 10spd setup with them.

Let's see any other shifters pull that off
    Alea Jacta Est