trainwreck

Whats the best Derailleur//brake cable kit

was wondering what would be the best derailleur/brake cable kit out there for me,im running shimano xt shifters and xt v-brakes im looking between Gore ride-on,Jagwire ripcord set,or just a set of shimano xtr cables any input would be great
    Pain is Weakness leaving the body

My gloves stink

Buy in bulk

Quote Originally Posted by galbeithnoobie
    was wondering what would be the best derailleur/brake cable kit out there for me,im running shimano xt shifters and xt v-brakes im looking between Gore ride-on,Jagwire ripcord set,or just a set of shimano xtr cables any input would be great
    Rather than go bling, I buy cables and housing in bulk from icyclesusa.com or ebay and re-cable the bike as often as needed.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I've had great luck with the XTR cable and housing sets. Not the cheapest option, but I've had great luck with them.

mtbr member

Nokons

Nokons are pretty much unbeatable. They are lighter than your standard cable housing and once installed all you have to do to service them is to put a drop of oil in there and change the cables once or twice per year. The initial price is a bit hefty (especially if you run full length housings on a longer travel full suspension) but they last forever. They were one of the very few components that I moved from a 4 year old bike to a new frame. Unlike e.g. Gore cables they take $3 standard shifting cables.
    There is one downside: they creak if they get too dry and dusty but that's nothing a little WD40 can't handle.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My endorsement goes to the sealed Gore Ride-On cable system.

Whereas most of the cable systems out there I would class as splashproof, the Gore cables are actually waterproof.

Full length housing, and housing that uses a "sealed" end ferrule or a nosed ferrule falls into the less desirable splashproof category.

The stiffness of the Gore housing means that it will loop more nicely around the headtube of the frame and it will maintain the loop better - preventing itself from pressing against the frame and causing cable rub. Thus, no protective frame patches or rubber housing jackets are necessary.

Plus, the Gore cables are priced just about right: above the generic stuff, just enough to make them exclusive but not so expensive as to make them beyond the reach of ordinary mortals.

Incidentally, standard generic 1.2mm diameter stainless steel inner gear cables are compatible with the Gore gear cable system (ie they will pass through the liner with no problems). The same applies to the sealed Gore Ride-On brake cable system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Standard3x - so will XTR cables run ok inside of the gore housing? Just curious.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by standard3x
    My endorsement goes to the sealed Gore Ride-On cable system.

Whereas most of the cable systems out there I would class as splashproof, the Gore cables are actually waterproof.

Full length housing, and housing that uses a "sealed" end ferrule or a nosed ferrule falls into the less desirable splashproof category.

The stiffness of the Gore housing means that it will loop more nicely around the headtube of the frame and it will maintain the loop better - preventing itself from pressing against the frame and causing cable rub. Thus, no protective frame patches or rubber housing jackets are necessary.

Plus, the Gore cables are priced just about right: above the generic stuff, just enough to make them exclusive but not so expensive as to make them beyond the reach of ordinary mortals.

Incidentally, standard generic 1.2mm diameter stainless steel inner gear cables are compatible with the Gore gear cable system (ie they will pass through the liner with no problems). The same applies to the sealed Gore Ride-On brake cable system.

Buddy got some he is now having trouble with RD shifting.......He says it is not the gore cables.

XTR's work great...

Dirty South Underdog
    Alligator I-link is my personal favorite. I've used Nokon, and they're a giant PITA to install. The Alligators are really simple and a lot easier since the links actually snap together and slide on/off of the liner much easier than the Nokon pieces. They also cost about half as much.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Standard3x - so will XTR cables run ok inside of the gore housing? Just curious.

The teflon coated XTR inner gear cable will pass through the Gore liner. It is not as slick as the Gore inner gear cables (which have a waxy lube coating as opposed to XTR's dry teflon), but it will work fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Alligator I-link is my personal favorite. I've used Nokon, and they're a giant PITA to install. The Alligators are really simple and a lot easier since the links actually snap together and slide on/off of the liner much easier than the Nokon pieces. They also cost about half as much.
    Point for you. I haven't used the Alligators yet but they seem indeed to be an improvement over the Nokons.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I just use JagWire Ripcord cables and coated wire sets for shifting and for braking on my cable actuated bikes. They are relatively inexpensive and light weight, easy to install, extremely reliable, require little maintenance and have done a great job of keeping out the elements in both very wet and ultra-dry climates (Illinois and Arizona respectively) in my many years of using them. Here are a couple of places with good deals right now:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t.aspx?sc=FRGL

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=13597

I've installed and used Gore, Alligator and Nokon cable setups and I find them all to be overly complicated without enough added benefit to justify the inflated prices or the extra work involved...
    Ride to Live...
    Specialites TA 42/28 and 40/26 rings for sale in MTBR Classifieds!

Dirty South Underdog
    Personally, I find Alligator to be easier to install than "normal" cable housing because you can snap the links on/off to get the housing length exactly how you want it. No more measure twice/cut once, and no need to ream the cut ends out with your "sharpened spoke" tool.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

AZ
    banned
    +1 for Jagwire Ripcord , reliable as a stone , economical , good lifespan .

mtbr member
    Jagwires are the best, because they come in the most colors.

Seriously, there's only so much "performance" you can get out of cables.
    There are lots of good sets, but some of the prices....sheeeesh.

Jagwires
    cables teflon coated- check
    rubber seal things in housing caps -- check
    housing comes in cool colors - check
    teflon lined housing - check
    Incompressible housing - check. This is the one where the marketing geniuses will get you, but try and compress any derailleur housing. It won't. The stuff is made from wires running longitudinally. It aint gonna compress.

Tip: Cut your housing with a dremel, and put a piece of cable inside when cutting to keep the end from pinching down!
    (Thats cool that the alligators break off though, and they look cool too.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Personally, I find Alligator to be easier to install than "normal" cable housing because you can snap the links on/off to get the housing length exactly how you want it. No more measure twice/cut once, and no need to ream the cut ends out with your "sharpened spoke" tool.
    If you use a proper cable cutting tool correctly, you very rarely--if ever--have to "ream" the housing ends to push the cable through with normal cable. I personally still don't see the need to spend so much extra for what, in my experience, has been very little or no added benefit... And this is coming from a fairly serious weightweenie like myself (one of the reasons I bothered trying these other cable types in the first place).
    Ride to Live...
    Specialites TA 42/28 and 40/26 rings for sale in MTBR Classifieds!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by standard3x

The teflon coated XTR inner gear cable will pass through the Gore liner. It is not as slick as the Gore inner gear cables (which have a waxy lube coating as opposed to XTR's dry teflon), but it will work fine.
    Thanks for the fyi and pic. I'm sure it will work fine. Do you know where I can get the internal housing separately?

mtbr member
    Personally, I find Alligator to be easier to install than "normal" cable housing because you can snap the links on/off to get the housing length exactly how you want it.
    That's cool if you can snap the links back together, and connect all your short scrap pieces into one usable length of housing.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Another vote for the Jagwire Ripcord stuff!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member

Worth noting...

Cable options seem to be pretty well covered in this thread already. However, in 8 years as a professional bike mechanic and 15 years of frequent riding in all conditions, there is one thing regarding cables that isn't talked about nearly enough. Lubrication.

If you haven't tried ProLink chain lube on your cables, you have not experienced perfection. Bold statement, I know. But I feel that strongly about it. I've tried every lubricant out there, and nothing is slipperier. And it lasts surprisingly long in the housing. You don't have to buy super-expensive cable sets to get top notch performance. Even the cheap cables can perform very well if properly lubed.

My ideal setup? XTR cables/housing lubed with ProLink.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you are using twisties, you really want to go with 1.1 dreailleur cable, I believe XTR cables are 1.2 and do make shifting a bit "sticky" when used with grip shifts.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!