mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What is wrong with my cranks?

I recently got a new chain for my old 2003 XTR drivetrain. I know you shouldn't do this, but I'm not going to get a new 500 dollar + drivetrain, so it fits my 30 dollar chain.
    It works fine in the small and big rings, but when the chain is in the middle one, it starts making crack-like sounds. The noise only appears when peddaling normally, not while the bike is on the stand.
    Everything is set perfectly, both the cranks and the derailleur are properly set.

I noticed that the chain sort of stayed on the bottom part of the ring as it was coming out, for a bit more than it should. I already lubed it throughly.

Is this the problem?
    How do I fix it?
    etc

it's....
    Replace the middle ring,it gets used the most, so it is worn out and doesn't mesh well with new chain.
    doesn't happen in large and small rings coz they didn't get much use and haven't worn out yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Replace the middle ring,it gets used the most, so it is worn out and doesn't mesh well with new chain.
    doesn't happen in large and small rings coz they didn't get much use and haven't worn out yet.
    Agree. The middle rings are typically made of different material than the smaller ring. I have realized this gets worn the most. But, while you are at it why not change all the chainrings and the cassette. It wont cost all that much and the rivetrain will feel like new.

Indeed sounds like you're in need of a new middle chainring (you might be able to hold off on the big and small ones but that is an old drivetrain), and possibly the cassette. Altho it's probably only one or two cogs on the cassette you use the most that are the most worn but they don't sell replacement cogs these days. Don't cry too much when you see replacement chainring prices....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think I can get a chainring soon enough, and I want to go out and ride asap.
    What would happen if I were to keep it like that?
    Would they eventually wear so they are compatible?

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    I don't think I can get a chainring soon enough, and I want to go out and ride asap.
    What would happen if I were to keep it like that?
    Would they eventually wear so they are compatible?
    Premature chain wear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't really mind that. The previous chain was the same model (XT), and they can take a beating.
    Anything else I should be concerned about? I don't want to mess up XTR cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The reason why its making noise is that your old chain had stretched and your middle ring teeth have worn so they probably look like breaking waves instead of pyramids. (if that makes sense). You might experience chainsuck and end up breaking the new chain. Or it might work out fine. Any lbs should have a chainring in stock and they should only be aroun 20-30 dollars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I see no problem with it right now, besides the annoying sound it makes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Put the old chain back on!..with a quick link

...And order a STEEL middle ring, about $12 American.

Deore grade, middle and granny, are steel.

Airbomb has them.

Tilos

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I switched back to the old chain and put the new one on the other bike. I'll put it back on when I get a new middle ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you have an XTR cassette, that is wearing out at the same time. You're really, really lucky if it's not skipping right now with the new chain.....get a new middle ring ASAP before you wear out your $100++ cassette.

If you have an XT cassette, not as big a deal, those are around $60.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll probably put the newer chain back on, once I find a middle ring. The only reason I got the new chain is because it's really old, and because I've abused it for the last six months (1400 km+ with it).