chainpain
    Feb 2005

What type of middleburn crankset; isis or normal?

Hi!

I have this custom project going on, and I have been drooling over a middleburn RS-8 crankset lately. I know an XT crankset is the stiffest and best you can get, but a double chainring middleburn duo is just jaw dropping gorgeous *sigh*

Well, you get to choose between square-taper or ISIS interface. The ISIS would probably be stiffer, but which BB types have the best quality and longevity? On the review page, the ISIS bottom brackets seem to get an awful amount of bashing. What would you recommend?

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

I've been out of the loop for a while

A few years ago, ISIS BBs didn't seem to have the longevity, I don't know if that has been corrected or not. My personal experience: I tried Truvativ ISIS and had trouble with it creaking worse than my old square taper set did, I switched back to sqaure taper. Square taper was the standard for many years and there few to no problems with them. ISIS has a really nice concept and the stiffer interface is nice, but I don't know if it is worth some of the troubles that ISIS had a few years ago, again I am not sure if those problems have been corrected. I think Shimano got it right with the Octa eight set up, though. But I understand your need for the pretty cranks, I run Race Face for the same reason.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.