What tools for BB/Crankset removal/repair???
I have a 1999 Specialize Hardrock Comp FS A1 that has a square taper BB
I am looking to replace the crankset and Bottom Bracket and thinking something like this:
What tools are needed for this removal and replacement?
Any suggestions on where to buy cheap tools.
Last edited by deznsteve; 08-02-2008 at 10:44 AM.
can ayone help? I would like to order some tools this weekend.
To remove the square taper crankset and bottom bracket, you will need:
1. a long 8mm Allen key (for the crank bolts).
2. a TL-FC10 Crank Extractor or compatible tool to remove the cranks.
3. a TL-UN74-S or compatible tool to remove the lockring and BB.
4. a big adjustable spanner
If the TL-UN74-S tool slips then just improvise a tool (from an M8 bolt and a large diameter washer) to hold it securely in place.
To install the Shimano Hollowtech II BB cups and crankset:
5. a TL-FC32 spanner to screw in the outboard BB bearing cups.
6. a TL-FC16 for the preload screw.
7. a 6mm Allen key for the left crank pinch bolts.
I have listed the original Shimano service tools required, but I would recommend that you buy the compatible versions of them instead because they often include extras for the same price. For example, the compatible version of (2) often also includes a small adapter cap for removal of ISIS and Octalink cranks. The compatible version of (5) often combines (5) and (6) on a single tool.
Look for tools that have been chemically treated a black colour as they are more robust than their plated or untreated counterparts.