mtbr member

What style replacement rings and tool do I need?

Hello fellow experts,

Everyone in here seems to be really knowledgeable and kind, and will probably be able to answer my question. I have a 2003 IronHorse Desperado that I would like to replace the chain rings on (Actually looking to go SS, need a 32T or 34T chainring). I searched on the internet, but could not find the exact specifications on the type of crank on the bike. (It also seems that this was some kind of a "special" model bike sold in Canada only, perhaps using a 2002 frame).

Perhaps from looking at the picture you can identify what sort of a replacement ring and what tools I would require?

As I understand it, I need a crank puller (and a wrench).

Mucho gradias.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dmytro; 02-05-2006 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfist
    Hello fellow experts,

Everyone in here seems to be really knowledgeable and kind, and will probably be able to answer my question. I have a 2003 IronHorse Desperado that I would like to replace the chain rings on (Actually looking to go SS, need a 32T or 34T chainring). I searched on the internet, but could not find the exact specifications on the type of crank on the bike. (It also seems that this was some kind of a "special" model bike sold in Canada only, perhaps using a 2002 frame).

Perhaps from looking at the picture you can identify what sort of a replacement ring and what tools I would require?

Mucho gradias.
    Those look like non-replaceable rings.
    If they were replaceable, the middle&outer ring/bash would be attached by bolts and the inner would be attached by another set of bolts.
    I can't tell from looking at it whether it's splined (isis or shimano) or square taper BB.

What model cranks are those? I can only make out the "x-fi" . some sort of firex model?

I'd give sram/truvativ a call and see what they say.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    You're right, this appears to be the non replaceable style. I actually called SRAM and gave him the model name of the crank (X-Forge), the tech said basically "that year.. we made 2 styles of cranksets in that model.. the one with replaceable rings, and without".

Basically, the 3 rings are are all attached by one bolt.

So much for my decision to go single speeding, not as easy as it sounds.

mtbr member
    You're right, this appears to be the non replaceable style. I actually called SRAM and gave him the model name of the crank (X-Forge), the tech said basically "that year.. we made 2 styles of cranksets in that model.. the one with replaceable rings, and without".

Basically, the 3 rings are are all attached by one bolt.

So much for my decision to go single speeding, not as easy as it sounds.
    well, no matter what ya do (SS or geared), you're gonna need some new cranks & prolly a BB to go along with it. The following new are a decent deal or tons of options used on places like ebay (good oldschool square taper deore lx/xt can be found cheap if you look hard)
    These http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR1033 or deore (square taper or octalink)
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR8129
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR8126
    are great bang for the buck.

and be sure to check the usual online discount places for crankset+BB deals.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

FSA GAMMAs & Ritchies off my Warrior DS Pro

If anyone is interested I have a crankset for sale cheap on eBay. I took these off my 05 Warrior Pro DS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
    JER10:23 My constant reminder....

Meh.
    Hello fellow experts,

Mucho gradias.
    Non-replaceable rings. All three rings come off in one piece on some models. I believe that you could use a bottom bracket tool to remove them. It's difficult to explain.