mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What SRAM chain to choose ?

Preparing to install my new 9.0 derailleur + X.0 twisters, I'm considering replacing the chain as well for a new one.
    My local shop offers several kinds of SRAM chains (for 9 speeds) such as PC991 with or without hollow pins (the latter one is cheaper by some 10-15 $), 971 (another 10-15 $ off) and the cheapest one is 951.

All come with SRAM quick link.

What to choose ?
    I have standard 11-32 to 22-44 setup, hardtail, my weight (if that matters) doesn't exceed 70 kg, riding XC/light AMs

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I use pc 991 cross step on all my bikes. Push Pin Power: 250 kgf, Chrome Hardened Pins.Stronger they say. I haven't broken one yet knock on wood. I weigh 180 lbs.

mtbr member
    All the SRAM chains will perform pretty much the same. Here are the basic differences.

951 = baseline chain, nothing nickle plated
    971 = outer plates are nickle plated
    991 = full chain nickle plated
    991 (hollow pin) = lighter version of 991
    991 Cross Step = stronger version of 991

I like the 991 Cross Step myself, but when looking to save money I'll usually choose the 971. I usually skip the 951 since I don't like the all black look, and the rust potential.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, understood.
    Will probably have to choose between 971 and 991..

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    +1 for 991 crossstep i got it casue i broke 971 3 times in a 1 month period. lastly after using my last powerlink leaving me stranded 8 miles in the woods... if i had any brains i would have made it a SS but my brains werent working that day...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another for the 991 Cross Step (not hollow pin). You can find these for under $35 mail order so it's a no brainer for me to use this chain.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ANOTHER for the 991 Crossstep. Totally worth it.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    pricepoint has the 991crosstep for $29...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks.
    Ill have to purchase locally in my country (which makes is around 40 US$) otherwise shipment may prove to be higher then the content...
    Well, I guess 40 $ is also nothing to lament about considering the importance of the chain as part of the entire drivetrain..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzabr
    Preparing to install my new 9.0 derailleur + X.0 twisters, I'm considering replacing the chain as well for a new one.
    My local shop offers several kinds of SRAM chains (for 9 speeds) such as PC991 with or without hollow pins (the latter one is cheaper by some 10-15 $), 971 (another 10-15 $ off) and the cheapest one is 951.

All come with SRAM quick link.

What to choose ?
    I have standard 11-32 to 22-44 setup, hardtail, my weight (if that matters) doesn't exceed 70 kg, riding XC/light AMs

Thanks
    I have used many different SRAM 9 speed chains, including the 951 and 991, and in my experience there was no noticeable difference in the performance or longevity. The more expensive ones looked nicer longer, but that was about it as far as I could tell.

I almost never break chains (one breakage in ten years), so maybe there is a difference for those that are hard on them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I snapped my 971 and 951 chains around 10 times last year, some snapped at the powerlink too; so I recommend not getting those ones.
    On a positive note, i've never snapped a shimano ultegra...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    All the SRAM chains will perform pretty much the same. Here are the basic differences.

951 = baseline chain, nothing nickle plated
    971 = outer plates are nickle plated
    991 = full chain nickle plated
    991 (hollow pin) = lighter version of 991
    991 Cross Step = stronger version of 991

I like the 991 Cross Step myself, but when looking to save money I'll usually choose the 971. I usually skip the 951 since I don't like the all black look, and the rust potential.
    I agree with oldskoolbiker. I find them all pretty much the same. Weight isn't that different. I also keep away from the 951, they do rust. I haven't broken one yet. I think if your drivetrain is tuned properly and you finese your shifts they should all be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    991 cross step - got it from amazon for $31 shipped

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    991 cross step is what I ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you can get the 991 cross-step for $30ish, that's a great buy. The hollow-pin model is actually more resistant to plate separation, thanks to the 360 riveting, but it would be hard to justify spending nearly twice as much unless you're a vicious full-throttle power-shifting fool like me The PowerLink master link remains a potential weakness; I wish they had a 9-speed PowerLock.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    My PC-991 Hollowpin has lasted two years and 1900 miles. I heard the KMC X9SL is twice as strong and last the same...we'll see after 2011!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"