mtbr member

what SRAM cassette?

I'm changing my 06 IronHorse Aniki over to a 9 speed drivetrain and need some input.
    I'm going with 07 X-9 shifters, XTR CN-7701 chain but I'm having a hard time on what cassette to use; should I go with the PG-990 or PG-980 and why.
    Thanks for any help

Paste eater
    If you have a king hub you will NEED to go with the 990 b/c the others don't have a spider and consequently vreate divets on the CK free hub.

If you don't have a CK hub, well, it's all up to you...

bi-winning
    spiders look cool and save weight. that is why they cost more.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

i am, therefore, i ride
    PG-990 since it's SRAM's top of the line and that red spider looks cool. If you are not for the bling and not a weight weenie, then you don't have to.

Calm Like a Bomb
    this seems to be a good price on the 990...but the red looks kewler

edit - i actually priced matched the beyond bikes silver one to the jensonusa red one and jensonusa matched the price so u can get the red one for $62.95

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...0&MatrixType=1
    Last edited by pipes10; 06-11-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

Photog Cyclist.
    ain't the XT cheaper than the 990 and lighter???
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The PG-990 aside from having a red anodized alloy lockring and spider actually has the 5 biggest cogs attached to the spider.

The PG-980 has a black alloy spider but only the 3 biggest cogs are attached.
    The weight difference is quite small, but agreed, the red does look quite cool.

If you have an alloy freehub body, i would go with the 990, though it is quite expensive.

As mentioned, the XT is cheaper than the 990 and also has the top 5 cogs attached to the alloy spider.
    I find the shimanos to be a little smoother from the get go while the sram takes a little more bed in time.

PG990 for bling, XT for performance, or 980 if you have a steel freehub body and want a cheaper cassette.

Paste eater
    62 bucks isn't expensive IMO for a quality part. THe 990 has been nothing short of fabulous on my Motolite.

mtbr member

Thanks Guys

I'm going with the PG-990 , thanks for the price match pipes10.
    Larry

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lcare@tampabay.rr.com
    I'm going with the PG-990 , thanks for the price match pipes10.
    Larry
    You may want to run a Sram chain as well. I think they work better with Sram bits. Not to mention, I break less Sram Chains than Shimano.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    You may want to run a Sram chain as well. I think they work better with Sram bits. Not to mention, I break less Sram Chains than Shimano.
    Agree..... the 991 chain works best with 990 cassette. If you elect to use the shimano chain, at least use a SRAM powerlink instead of shimano pins.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    Agree..... the 991 chain works best with 990 cassette. If you elect to use the shimano chain, at least use a SRAM powerlink instead of shimano pins.
    I'm lookin at buying a new cassette and chain , would a 990 and a 971 chain work fine with my new 2007 X-7 shifters?D Anybody running this combo?

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny73
    I'm lookin at buying a new cassette and chain , would a 990 and a 971 chain work fine with my new 2007 X-7 shifters?D Anybody running this combo?
    971 should work fine with a 990....... X7, X9 OR X0 shifters will not be a problem.... they are all compatible, assuming you are using SRAM derailleur as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    971 should work fine with a 990....... X7, X9 OR X0 shifters will not be a problem.... they are all compatible, assuming you are using SRAM derailleur as well.

Yes, getting a 2007 X-7 package today I'm still trying to decide if I should go with a Sram front derailleur also or with XT, lots of people seem to believe that Sram are not as good as Shimano when it comes to Front derailleurs. Opinions?

i am, therefore, i ride
    Matter of preference...... i personally like XT front derailleur better and have them on my bikes. Precise and shifts when needed. But then again, I'm partial to Shimano except for cassette and chain, which I like SRAM better. Again, matter of personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey larry, why don't you try going with the 970 SRAM cassette?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey larry, I just put up pix, check them out. (My SETTE RIDDIK)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Go with the 990, it looks awesome and sram customer support is great. A friend and I were riding when he got a stick caught in his cassette, bending bad enough that it wouldn’t stay in that gear. He took it into the shop he got it, they called sram and they got him fixed up with a new one.
    Try doing that with shimano.

Calm Like a Bomb
    i think larry already got his cassette guys...this is an old thread
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

SRAM Chain with Shimano Cassette

So I just recently made a switch to SRAM components on my bikes, but I am having issue getting it dialed in....

I'm running XT cranks, XT Front Derailleur, XO Rear Derailleur, XO Shifters, XT Cassette, and 991 chain.... I have this setup on 2 bikes and I am having problems getting the indexing on the rear derailleur to work correctly.... almost everything is new, just put new rings on one set of cranks, the other set is new... both cassettes are new, rear derailuers and shifters are new, and the chains are new.... so it's not an issue of mixing new and worn components...

Are there any issues running a SRAM 991 chain with a Shimano XT Cassette?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by venture
    So I just recently made a switch to SRAM components on my bikes, but I am having issue getting it dialed in....

I'm running XT cranks, XT Front Derailleur, XO Rear Derailleur, XO Shifters, XT Cassette, and 991 chain.... I have this setup on 2 bikes and I am having problems getting the indexing on the rear derailleur to work correctly.... almost everything is new, just put new rings on one set of cranks, the other set is new... both cassettes are new, rear derailuers and shifters are new, and the chains are new.... so it's not an issue of mixing new and worn components...

Are there any issues running a SRAM 991 chain with a Shimano XT Cassette?

Thanks

shouldn't have any issues as long as your cable tension is set properly.

having said that, i run x-7 triggers, x-9 short cage der., and a pg-970 road cass. love it. quick shifting and quiet.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    shouldn't have any issues as long as your cable tension is set properly.
    I am about to nuke my old drive train and do it all over in sram ... how do I know my cable tension is set properly?? Do I need some gauge/ tool??

thanks..

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr1968
    I am about to nuke my old drive train and do it all over in sram ... how do I know my cable tension is set properly?? Do I need some gauge/ tool??

thanks..

Mike
    no...shifting just won't be right if it isn't set properly...its just something you have to get a 'feel' for...basically so that there's tension on the cable, but not so much that it affects the position of the der. until you change gears...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    no...shifting just won't be right if it isn't set properly...its just something you have to get a 'feel' for...basically so that there's tension on the cable, but not so much that it affects the position of the der. until you change gears...
    thanks jcaino.. I am a total newbie to working on bikes. I ride them, but havent ever worked on them and I wanna start.

So I take it from your response that I can adjust the cable tension if I don't quite get it right the first time?

Rub it............
    I just installed the PG980. Its pretty light. I just switched from 1991 era Shimano Deore LX shifters/derailleurs to X-7 F & R derailleurs and X9 shifters. Also went with the PG991 chain. Sweet setup. Glad I went with SRAM stuff.