mtbr member
    May 2006

what size cranks for me?

What size (170 vs 175 etc) cranks do I want for my new Rocky Mountain ETSX? I am 5'10" and pretty normal proportionally as far as torso and leg length. I'm pretty much an XC rider. Also, I'm not much of a mechanic, so how do I even know what cranks will work with the bottom bracket that my bike comes with? I'm getting the ETSX 50, but upgrading a bunch of the parts, and have heard marginal reviews of the Race Face Evolve XC cranks that come on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510
    What size (170 vs 175 etc) cranks do I want for my new Rocky Mountain ETSX? I am 5'10" and pretty normal proportionally as far as torso and leg length. I'm pretty much an XC rider. Also, I'm not much of a mechanic, so how do I even know what cranks will work with the bottom bracket that my bike comes with? I'm getting the ETSX 50, but upgrading a bunch of the parts, and have heard marginal reviews of the Race Face Evolve XC cranks that come on it.
    I'd go with 175. I'm 5' 11ish" with short inseam (31") & use 175's on mtn bike. I've tried 170's and it seemed like I was spinning a lot more.
    170 feels fine on the roadbike, as it should.

there are some websites out there that help you calculate your 'best' crankarm length. It's been covered in the singlespeed section a number of times. a quick google search will get you going.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    RMB ELement 30
    Just lost the Race Face Evovle BB Fourth one since aug 2005 1 every 1500 km

Went with Shimano XT Hollowtech II and went from 170mm cranks to 175 mm cranks.

I have a 32 inch inseam.

If you increase the crank length ensure you streach out the IL band. Still working on bike set-up.

I noticed much better granny gear, and I dont downshift as much or as far when accelerating.

Pedalling just seems smoother. So far so good.