mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What shifters should i buy?

I need some new shifters, since i am changing my brakes to hydrolics, and they aren't compatble with my shifter/brake lever combo things. The hole drivetrain is shimano deore. I have about $70 to spend on new shifters. But i have no idea whitch ones to go for... sram, shimano, or something else? what do you guys think?

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

a decade-old advise that may still be current

Since I'm still running 8 sp. with Gripshift X-Ray shifters, I don't have a lot of useful input on anything that came out in the last decade or so.
    But this may help: reason I originally switched to Gripshift, from shitmano, was that shitmano didn't allow fine gradations of trim of the front derailleur. Gripshift did, with "microclicks" that let you trim the front cage so it wouldn't rub the chain, even in the middle ring and the largest and/or smallest rear cogs, gear combos that at are notorious for rubbing if you used shitmano shifters that provide only very coarse trim adjustments.
    I gather from posts here that this is still an issue with shitmano shifters.
    What I don't know if whether gripshift, er, SRAM I guess they'r calling themselves nowadays, still offers the microclick trim option for its front shifters. I hope so. Maybe someone knows?....If they do, I would say that that's the way to go.
    Although if you got 9 sp. I understand there's now a 9 sp. thumb shifter that is based on the shitmano bar-con shifter, with a custom perch for it for flat bars. Always liked thumbies, and they offer infinite front derailleur trim , so that's an attractive option for sure.

willtsmith_nwi

Sram

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Since I'm still running 8 sp. with Gripshift X-Ray shifters, I don't have a lot of useful input on anything that came out in the last decade or so.
    But this may help: reason I originally switched to Gripshift, from shitmano, was that shitmano didn't allow fine gradations of trim of the front derailleur. Gripshift did, with "microclicks" that let you trim the front cage so it wouldn't rub the chain, even in the middle ring and the largest and/or smallest rear cogs, gear combos that at are notorious for rubbing if you used shitmano shifters that provide only very coarse trim adjustments.
    I gather from posts here that this is still an issue with shitmano shifters.
    What I don't know if whether gripshift, er, SRAM I guess they'r calling themselves nowadays, still offers the microclick trim option for its front shifters. I hope so. Maybe someone knows?....If they do, I would say that that's the way to go.
    Although if you got 9 sp. I understand there's now a 9 sp. thumb shifter that is based on the shitmano bar-con shifter, with a custom perch for it for flat bars. Always liked thumbies, and they offer infinite front derailleur trim , so that's an attractive option for sure.
    SRAM's front gripshifts still offer "micro-clicks". I like it ALOT!!!!!

If the poster switching his shifter AND going to gripshift, he might as well go ESP 1:1 and get more precise shifting. Get X-7 or better for great quality and loopless cabling. The x-9 and above adds a pully to get rid of even more friction.

Once you've gone SRAM, you'll never go back ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    SRAM's front gripshifts still offer "micro-clicks". I like it ALOT!!!!!

If the poster switching his shifter AND going to gripshift, he might as well go ESP 1:1 and get more precise shifting. Get X-7 or better for great quality and loopless cabling. The x-9 and above adds a pully to get rid of even more friction.

Once you've gone SRAM, you'll never go back ;-)

That would put him out of his budget. I woudl HIGHLY recommend SRAM as well but I personally like the triggers. Get the SRAM Attack or SRAM Rocket Trigger shifters that way you still have the 2:1 so the current rear derailleur can stil be used. IF you can spring for $85 plus shipping get the X.7 shifter and derailleur combo and go 1:1 as mentioned. Here is where you can price stuff for SRAM
    http://www.comparisonpricing.com/sram1.htm