Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164

    What ring is everyone running on their Eagle?

    Came stock with a 32 but finding that the 32/50 is a ridiculously low gear. The point of Eagle was to give you more total range so thinking of moving up to the 34 oval. What is everyone running?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,682
    The main argument for Eagle is the ability to run a lower climbing gear without having to use a ridiculously small front chainring as this has negative effect on the rear suspension

    I run the eagle with the 32T stock chainring because that's the size my frame works best with

    before that 11speed 30/10-42 was a great combo but I was wishing got a lower gear from time to time and the 30T provoked more pedal feedback when pedaling over roots and rocks

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Came stock with a 32 but finding that the 32/50 is a ridiculously low gear. The point of Eagle was to give you more total range so thinking of moving up to the 34 oval. What is everyone running?
    Do you ever find yourself needing more than the 32/10t?

    My 2x has about the exact same high and low gear as your setup and though I rarely use the lowest gear (22/34) I'm really glad it's there when I'm on one of those seemingly endless 20% climbs. It's probably even more rare to find myself in the 36/11 though so a higher gear wouldn't do me much good.

    IMO if you're not running out of gear on the high end you might as well keep the low just in case, better to have too low a gear and not need it than vice-versa.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  4. #4
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Do you ever find yourself needing more than the 32/10t?

    My 2x has about the exact same high and low gear as your setup and though I rarely use the lowest gear (22/34) I'm really glad it's there when I'm on one of those seemingly endless 20% climbs. It's probably even more rare to find myself in the 36/11 though so a higher gear wouldn't do me much good.

    IMO if you're not running out of gear on the high end you might as well keep the low just in case, better to have too low a gear and not need it than vice-versa.
    Not really, but going to a 34 pushes you to use your full range. Right now, I don't use the 50 and stay in the lower portion of the cassette a lot - seems like a case to move up to the 34. The 34/50 is about the same gear inches as a 32/46 which is WAY lower than what I came from, a 32/40.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  5. #5
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,963
    I'm running a 30T oval absoluteblack. I feel like I could comfortably climb up walls with it. The oval really helps maintain traction with such a low gear. The plus tires are also mandatory for me. I dont think I could run this low with skinnies and have any traction. I came from a 28T/9-46 setup before eagle, and wanted to maintain the low end for when my legs are fully toasted. Normally I dont even touch the lower 3 gears. Nor do I use the high gear except for pavement or fire roads. With the trails around here, youre lucky if you can even hit a 20 mph max before the twistys slow you down again. The 30T seems to center me well for my environment.

  6. #6
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    I think what happens with folks in these discussions is that they think of their gearing as binary - the extreme ends of the cassette...the 10 and the 50. So what I do now is rarely if ever use the 50 and sometimes use the 10 with a 32 up front. By going to a larger 34 ring, you get full-use of the cassette and use the 50 some and get a little more on the higher end as well. Eagle is about using the whole cassette all of the time and not just a part of it. I am definitely in my middle to lower middle portion of the cassette so a 34 should push it back squarely in the middle most of the time with some time at each end. At least that is my train of thought on this!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,977
    I looked into getting the a Eagle setup...until I looked at the gearing. The Eagle's gearing is the same as the 11sp XX1...just with a 50T added on top of the 42T. Yes I can go with a larger front ring with Eagle for a similar low gear...but at the same time...it would make all the gears in the middle higher than before. Or am I looking at it wrong?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    144
    I use a 30, but might have to go to a 28. Find myself exclusively in the 50 on the steeps around here.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I think what happens with folks in these discussions is that they think of their gearing as binary - the extreme ends of the cassette...the 10 and the 50. So what I do now is rarely if ever use the 50 and sometimes use the 10 with a 32 up front. By going to a larger 34 ring, you get full-use of the cassette and use the 50 some and get a little more on the higher end as well. Eagle is about using the whole cassette all of the time and not just a part of it. I am definitely in my middle to lower middle portion of the cassette so a 34 should push it back squarely in the middle most of the time with some time at each end. At least that is my train of thought on this!
    I agree but if you end up not using the 34/10 then you're not really using any more of the cassette range, which is why I asked about your top gear in my first post. If you never use the 50t now and sometimes use the 10 then I agree a 34t ring might be better, especially since you say you're usually on the bottom half of the cassette. What could happen though (not necessarily to you) is that after switching to the 34t chainring the 50t sometimes gets used but never the 10t, in other words the 500% range is just a bit more than necessary.


    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I looked into getting the a Eagle setup...until I looked at the gearing. The Eagle's gearing is the same as the 11sp XX1...just with a 50T added on top of the 42T. Yes I can go with a larger front ring with Eagle for a similar low gear...but at the same time...it would make all the gears in the middle higher than before. Or am I looking at it wrong?
    You're looking at it right. Eagle is about increasing total range, not just a higher high or a lower low gear.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  10. #10
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I looked into getting the a Eagle setup...until I looked at the gearing. The Eagle's gearing is the same as the 11sp XX1...just with a 50T added on top of the 42T. Yes I can go with a larger front ring with Eagle for a similar low gear...but at the same time...it would make all the gears in the middle higher than before. Or am I looking at it wrong?
    Yes, it allows you to run the same granny by going up a size in the front and then have a higher high end.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  11. #11
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I agree but if you end up not using the 34/10 then you're not really using any more of the cassette range, which is why I asked about your top gear in my first post. If you never use the 50t now and sometimes use the 10 then I agree a 34t ring might be better, especially since you say you're usually on the bottom half of the cassette. What could happen though (not necessarily to you) is that after switching to the 34t chainring the 50t sometimes gets used but never the 10t, in other words the 500% range is just a bit more than necessary.




    You're looking at it right. Eagle is about increasing total range, not just a higher high or a lower low gear.

    Yes, I do use the 10 sometimes, more frequently than the 50 so I think the 34 will balance it out, for me (always have to say that).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,749
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I looked into getting the a Eagle setup...until I looked at the gearing. The Eagle's gearing is the same as the 11sp XX1...just with a 50T added on top of the 42T. Yes I can go with a larger front ring with Eagle for a similar low gear...but at the same time...it would make all the gears in the middle higher than before. Or am I looking at it wrong?
    I use 1042 with a 28 and I just ordered a Garbaruk 1048. Main advantages: it is 11 speed and I can keep my Shimano XTR, weights less, costs way less than the $400 Eagle, and DOES NOT have a gap 42 to 50, but instead a very usable 10-12-14-16-19-22-26-30-36-42-48. Garbaruk also makes a 1050; and a 26 ring, so you do not really need to a $250-400 investment to get smaller gears.

    I might switch to a 30 upfront, it would still give a lower lowest gear 30/48=0.62 vs 28/42=0.67, but given how vertical some trail sections I use are and how old I am getting I might stay with 28.

  13. #13
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Folks - cool you run 1x11, but this thread is about Eagle and people that have Eagle and what they run in terms of a front chainring. Thanks.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  14. #14
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Folks - cool you run 1x11, but this thread is about Eagle and people that have Eagle and what they run in terms of a front chainring. Thanks.
    At 10-48, he has very nearly the same range as eagle. The only difference between his 11 as 12 speed is tighter spacing between gears. The overall range, and therefore chainring choice is still very much applicable to an eagle setup in my opinion. I wouldn't be so quick to brush aside input from 11 speed users, assuming they're running similarly wide range cassettes like the E*13 or Garbaruk.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Not really, but going to a 34 pushes you to use your full range. Right now, I don't use the 50 and stay in the lower portion of the cassette a lot - seems like a case to move up to the 34. The 34/50 is about the same gear inches as a 32/46 which is WAY lower than what I came from, a 32/40.
    They do it for drivetrain longevity. You can run a 34 or 36, but that usually means more high torque usage of the 50t in back which leads to shorter lifespan of all the related parts.
    I like bikes

  16. #16
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    At 10-48, he has very nearly the same range as eagle. The only difference between his 11 as 12 speed is tighter spacing between gears. The overall range, and therefore chainring choice is still very much applicable to an eagle setup in my opinion. I wouldn't be so quick to brush aside input from 11 speed users, assuming they're running similarly wide range cassettes like the E*13 or Garbaruk.
    Fair enough. I will....accept it...ahhahahaha
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ahhahahaha
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  13.8 KB

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    19

    What ring is everyone running on their Eagle?

    What about a chain guide? Has anyone had the need to run a guide with the Eagle? Any dropped chains?
    Last edited by Wu-D; 1 Week Ago at 05:18 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    102
    I run a 30 and use the 50t sometimes if I’m on “Hell Hill”, otherwise I’m a couple gears down on the local hills. I have a Sram 32T oval on backorder now to try that out for kicks.

  20. #20
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,693
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Folks - cool you run 1x11, but this thread is about Eagle and people that have Eagle and what they run in terms of a front chainring. Thanks.

    I have a good friend that's super strong and rides a bunch. Endurance racer, but also loves all-day techfests when the mood strikes. He asked me to order him a 28t to pair with his Eagle cassette. Rode that for ~2 weeks, then asked me to order a 26t. He rode that for a spring/summer, then sold the bike. When he built a new bike, he went with 26t/Eagle on that one too. He's had that setup for most of a season, and is happy with the range.

    Just throwing it out there so that people can see the other end of the spectrum.

  21. #21
    .
    Reputation: RustyIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Came stock with a 32 but finding that the 32/50 is a ridiculously low gear. The point of Eagle was to give you more total range so thinking of moving up to the 34 oval. What is everyone running?
    You're right. The 32/50 was just plain stupid for me. I went to a 34 up front, and now I can actually use the 50 under dire circumstances. But doing that makes the jump from 2 to 3 even greater, and I found the ratios uncomfortably wide even with the 32 tooth chainring.

    Although I like my Eagle, I think that Sram's final design was based on hype rather than ridability. After all, it makes MUCH better advertising when you can claim 500% range. I'd rather see the 50 tooth brought down to a 46, and sizes of the larger rings brought closer together. Doing so would make the Eagle MUCH more ridable. If Sram came out with such a tight-ratio cassette, I'd jump on that in a minute.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    484
    so much depends on where you ride. Here some of the climbs are 20% grade (loose too) over 10k', extended climbs of 2k'. I have done over 5k' climbs (not rides), but those are normally only 8-12% grades). Only monsters are able to turn 32 or 34T on this stuff (certainly not me). At lower elevations it wouldn't be as bad at all. I run a 28T for local riding.

  23. #23
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-D View Post
    What about a chain guide? Has anyone had the need to run a guide with the Eagle? Any dropped chains?
    Not here. The system is really bomb-proof w/r to this issue. Hell, my old 1x10 with a non-clutch derailleur only dropped the chain a few times in 5 years.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  24. #24
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have a good friend that's super strong and rides a bunch. Endurance racer, but also loves all-day techfests when the mood strikes. He asked me to order him a 28t to pair with his Eagle cassette. Rode that for ~2 weeks, then asked me to order a 26t. He rode that for a spring/summer, then sold the bike. When he built a new bike, he went with 26t/Eagle on that one too. He's had that setup for most of a season, and is happy with the range.

    Just throwing it out there so that people can see the other end of the spectrum.
    That is mind-blowing to me. 26/50 is just so low I can't imagine a situation where that would even be rideable. Whatever floats your boat! Also, you would spend so much time towards the bottom of the cassette in normal riding.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  25. #25
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    You're right. The 32/50 was just plain stupid for me. I went to a 34 up front, and now I can actually use the 50 under dire circumstances. But doing that makes the jump from 2 to 3 even greater, and I found the ratios uncomfortably wide even with the 32 tooth chainring.

    Although I like my Eagle, I think that Sram's final design was based on hype rather than ridability. After all, it makes MUCH better advertising when you can claim 500% range. I'd rather see the 50 tooth brought down to a 46, and sizes of the larger rings brought closer together. Doing so would make the Eagle MUCH more ridable. If Sram came out with such a tight-ratio cassette, I'd jump on that in a minute.
    I understand and agree to some degree. The thing I notice is a lot of shifting....so I am climbing a steep hill in the 42 or 36 cog and then at the crest I have to shift more than I used to to grab the right gear for the backside downhill.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  26. #26
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,679
    I can get away with a 32, but our main climb has extended 15%+ sections. When my 32 waters out I'll be replacing it with a 30. Being able to spin is nice. I'm also on a 29er with 2.5 tires so that adds to the gear inchs.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Similar Threads

  1. SRAM Eagle chain with xx1 (non-eagle) chainring.
    By LyncStar in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2017, 05:19 AM
  2. Anyone running Eagle on their 29+
    By ghughes.hesinc in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM
  3. Federal Government / Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle death proposal.
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-05-2016, 08:14 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2016, 07:20 AM
  5. RockShox Ride Experience at Eagle Bike Park in Eagle, Idaho
    By lil29er in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 04:56 AM

Members who have read this thread: 161

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •