mtbr member
    Feb 2012

What replacement chainring for OEM Sram S1000 crank?

Hi there,

Am converting my Trek X-cal from 3x10 to 2x10. Gonna Go Cheap and just take off the large ring and would like to swap out my middle 33T ring for a slightly larger one( 36T) for higher gearing since I won't have my large ring, not to mention that the middle ring is fairly worn after a couple of years and quite a bit of riding. I need to know what brand to buy that will fit and work flawlessly. I know I need the 104 size, but am unsure on brand and 10 speed compatibility. I saw truvativ trushift rings on Jenson that are pretty cheap, not sure if they are ok for 10 speed though. I would appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone who's had experience in this or done this before on this Sram crankset. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    how bout the truvativ trushift rings.....the sure look like they would work...but they don't say anything about being 10 speed compatible......just trying to find something for less than 50 bucks

Icebiker
    Kevin (or anyone else out there)....any luck with this? I am looking to swap out the 36T that came with my Trigger 29er's SRAM S1000 crank for a 32T, but also not looking to spend more than $30-$40. The ones in the links above are more.

Have tried the LBS where I bought the bike, no luck. Might call SRAM directly but figured I'd post up here first. I have found Shimano SLX ones for $34, but can't be sure they'll fit (when I tried to test-mount a Shimano 9sp 32T, the inner diameter of the mounting tabs was too small for the SRAM crankarm(e.g. the metal just below the bolt holes got in the way and the ring wouldn't fit on the crank's mounting flats. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You need a 10 speed 104bcd chain ring. You may need to adjust the front derailleur to compensate for the height difference bet week the 33t and 36t.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: What replacement chainring for OEM Sram S1000 crank?

Any 9 or 10 speed ring should work. I have about 600 miles using a converted 2x10 setup with a truvativ 9 speed 36t and have had zero issues.

2011 xcal, x-7 front shifter and deore front derailler.

Icebiker
    Thanks for your input. Are you both using the S1000 crank?

I figured the 10speed rings are slightly narrower in thickness, so was certainly going for a 10speed ring. It's the inner diameter of the ring I'm concerned about...if it's too short between the bolt hole tabs, it won't fit on the s1000 crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    Thanks for your input. Are you both using the S1000 crank?

I figured the 10speed rings are slightly narrower in thickness, so was certainly going for a 10speed ring. It's the inner diameter of the ring I'm concerned about...if it's too short between the bolt hole tabs, it won't fit on the s1000 crank.
    I *think* it is the S1000. It was originally a triple ring setup with a 22/33/42 if I remember right. I couldn't find a cheap 10spd middle ring so I ended up with the truvativ 9spd 36t.

I don't understand what you mean by inner diameter of the ring? any 104 bcd ring should fit.

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post

I don't understand what you mean by inner diameter of the ring? any 104 bcd ring should fit.
    That's what I would have thought, and I've installed aftermarket rings on cranks for years without a problem. Until the S1000 10 sp. I took a brand new 9sp Deore 32T and tried to fit it on the S1000 unsuccessfully. The issue is as follows:

1) take a look at the bolt hole in the pic below of my 10 speed S1000 with 36T ring. If you look directly to the left of it, you'll see a seam where the chainring ends and the crank spider begins. The distance between the perimeter of the bolt hole and where the chainring "ends" is very slender.

2) Now, take a look at these chainrings (both are 9sp (one is Salsa, the other Shimano), but let's assume I want a 10sp version. You'll see that the distance between the perimeter of the bolt hole and where the chainring "ends" (e.g. the inner "tabs") is greater. Therefore, when I try to bolt these onto my S1000 crank, they don't fit since the inner diameter of these chanrings is not compatible with that of the S1000's own chainring. Hence my dilemma. I could order 10sp rings, but need to confirm that the inner diameter is compatible with S1000 cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did you ever find a 36t ring that was compatible with the s1000 - I am looking to do teh same at present, but can't find an answer anywhere as to how to go about this change !

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

s1000 chainring

Quote Originally Posted by elredso View Post
    Did you ever find a 36t ring that was compatible with the s1000 - I am looking to do teh same at present, but can't find an answer anywhere as to how to go about this change !
    We can machine one for you but our rings have no ramps/pins, however since your putting this ring in the middle position on a 2x10 setup you don't need them anyways. We can also modify the tabs on an existing ramped/pinned chainring so it will fit on the s1000, just let us know.
    Warhawk Industries - Specializing in Stainless Steel, Titanium and Aluminum Chainrings

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elredso View Post
    I checked my crank and forgot to post back, but I am using a 9 spd truvativ ring on the s1000 and it works fine.

Icebiker
    elsredso: No, haven't found one yet, but then again haven't been using that bike of late so haven't been looking too hard. But will be now.

irv_usc: this is good news. Do you mind posting up a pic?

Thanks

Icebiker
    Update, I purchased a Truvativ 9 speed 32T and like irv-usc found, it fit perfectly. ebay link here:

SRAM Truvativ Trushift 32T 104mm Alloy 9 Speed Bike Chainring 9S Black | eBay

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry bugeye, I couldn't take a pic. The bike has since been converted to SS.

mtbr member
    Sorry for bumping an old thread. I'm thinking of moving from a 2x10 to a 1x10 system on my Reign with the Wolftooth 42t and a 30t chainring since moving to an XX/X01 would require new wheels and that's a big investment if I don't like the system.

I'm a little confused on the correct chainring/bolt size for the S1000 crank to order since the SRAM site only shows a 3x crank. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!