Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What rear derailleur and shifter?

724 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Natedogz 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm converting my 2008 Specialized Rockhopper 29er to 3x9 from 3x8. I bought a SRAM PG-980 cassette, PC-991 chain, new freehub, bearings, and cones. My current rear derailleur is the stock Shimano Alivio RD-M410 and kinda sloppy so I want to upgrade to match my new cassette and chain. Looking at Shimano Deore XT or SRAM something or other. I know that I have to buy at least a rear shifter to match my new 9-speed rear casette, so maybe I should go with SRAM instead of Shimano? Current stock shift levers are Shimano Acera SL-MC40. I can get a good condition used pair of couple year old Shimano LX shifters for cheap.

Currently running the stock front derailleur, a Shimano Altus FD-M310-6, top swing, with 34.9mm clamp.

Looking for best bang for my bucks here, but want quality operation, reliability and durability.

Also thinking about converting to 2x9 instead of 3x9....don't seem to need big ring much. What rear derailleur should I buy, Shimano or SRAM, long-cage or mid-cage?

EDIT: Looking to spend about $100 + tax for rear derailleur....not sure about the shifters. I've managed to bend several rear derailleur hangers riding rocky trails, so that is a consideration too....as far as rear derailleurs go.

EDIT: Hmmm maybe Shimano SLX? Save a few bucks, little more weight but same spring tension and shifting

See less See more
#2 ·
Natedogz said:
Looking for best bang for my bucks here, but want quality operation, reliability and durability.
I like Shimano XT, but if you can save a substantial amount by going with either Deore shifters or derailleur, then do it. Do comparison shop though because you can often find XT components for not that much more than the Deore equivalents.

Some folks like SRAM shifters and derailleurs. The virtues and faults of Shimano vs SRAM are endlessly debated in this forum. Do some reading and decide for yourself...
Also thinking about converting to 2x9 instead of 3x9....don't seem to need big ring much. What rear derailleur should I buy, Shimano or SRAM, long-cage or mid-cage?
There is a sticky in this forum which deals with this very question. Nate has done an awesome job of explaining when to use one vs the other.

#4 ·
Did much the same about a year ago. I went with a 980 cassette, a 971 chain, and 2008 XT shifters and shadow rear derailleur.

I spent 90$ for the der. when they first came out via EBAY. Got the shifters for 75$ but that was a fluke as they were supposed to be 760 shifters (previous year/revision) and the seller ran out and spotted me new 770s (2008 revisions) instead. That was a nice surprise to be sure as I LOVE EM!

Having said that SRAM x-9 stuff will be just as good and be cheaper I think.

pricepoint shifters check that page for some deals on shifters and derailleur combos. The Shimano front derailleur will work fine with SRAM shifters btw.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the input, I bought the Shimano XT Shadow rear derailleur, new SLX shifters, SRAM PG-980 casette., and Shimano CN-HG93 chain XT (they were out of the SRAM 991 chain.) Waiting on shfiters and can't wait to ride it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.