mtbr member

What are my options

I just picked up a new 2005 jamis komodo 1 for practically nothing and will be my play/all around bike. I already have better brakes for it and it came with deore rear, sram X7 front derailleurs.. It came with alivio shifters. What are my options for a 2-speed front, 8-speed rear, shifters that will work with my combo? I'll probably be upgrading the rear derailleur soon also, probably X9.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so if you go the sram way (x.9) you will need a set of sram shifter ... remember that the sram x serie are 1.1 action (rear only) so a x.5 to x.0 shifter set will be ok

mtbr member
    After posting this question, I started thinking. Would I be better off leaving the x.7 in front and going with an XT rear? I've heard a lot of good things about the XT derailleurs. Then I could just upgrade to a set of XT shifters. What has me confused, and forgive the newbness, is all the shifters say 9 speed. Are they also 8 speed compatible?

Or should I go with the x.9 rear and upgrade to x.? shifters? Are all the sram shifters 8 speed capable? Is the x.9 rear even 8 speed capable?

I've always just left things alone on bikes and this will be my first time changing out a lot of components. Hence, all the questions.

mtbr member
    Further explanation of my question.....

My thinking is that all the good shifters say 3x9 speed. Seems to me that those would not work. Seems like a 3 speed front shifter on a 2 speed setup would just through the chain off if you accidentally hit the shifter. Am I wrong in thinking this?

What I ultimately would like to do is go XT all around but I'm still unsure if my setup will allow it (2x8 speed)