mtbr member
    Apr 2016

What are my choices for an 11 speed thumbie?

I was wondering today what was available in thumbies for modern 1x groups and came across the Paul mounts as well as Microshift 11 speed thumbies, which I'm not familiar with. I'm going old school with a segmented rigid fork and hopefully thumbies.

I'm currently running a XT M8000 group on this bike and would prefer to stick with a Shimano shift lever if at all possible, but I've come up empty searching for any Shimano mountain bar end shifters that would be compatible with the Paul mount. Admittedly I know very little about road bikes but I believe I've heard the pull ratio and/or cassette spacing is different between Shimano road and mountain?

To get to the point, from what I see I have two options, I can just buy the Microshift 11 speed thumbies and run them as they come. Or, I can also buy the Paul mounts and run the Microshift lever on that (which only adds "coolness" at $50 extra). I know the Dura-Ace shifters pictured below would work with the Paul mounts, but would they be compatible with a XT M8000 cassette and derailuer? Are there any options I'm missing and does anyone have experience with Microshift components?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    I know the Dura-Ace shifters pictured below would work with the Paul mounts, but would they be compatible with a XT M8000 cassette and derailuer?
    The cassette wouldn't be a problem, it's the rear derailleur that would be the problem with those shifters.
    That rear shifter is index only, the difference with cable pull ratios of mountain and road derailleurs means that the index would be wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    I know the Dura-Ace shifters pictured below would work with the Paul mounts, but would they be compatible with a XT M8000 cassette and derailuer?
    You could run the Dura Ace shifter on the thumbies if you used a Wolftooth Tanpan, but that's another $40. Over $100 more than Microshift isn't worth it for the cool factor if you ask me. I haven't used the 11 speed microshifts yet, but I have used the 10 speed MTB and Alfine 8. Both perform flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    I also have 10spd Microshift (pulling a 10spd SLX rear derailleur) on a drop bar bike with Gevenalle combo levers. It's worth noting that microshift thumbies are not "perfect" with their indexing. There's a little slop for each indexing position. It's not a major issue on my 10spd setup, but if the shifter isn't in exactly the right position, the drivetrain will be a little chattery.

I also wouldn't bother with using road drop bar shifters for this application. IMO, that Paul thumbie lever is better for old school drivetrains to put the shifter on the flat part of a drop bar. Especially for downtube shifters. To make the setup work with a road drop bar shifter on modern mtb derailleur, you'd have to cobble too much to make it work, as was described above. And that's likely to introduce more performance compromises than using the Microshift thumbie that will work out of the box.