mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What is the more popular style crank currently?

I was wondering Square or Octalink/Splined cranks? So many tools are needed to assemble and disassemble a bike. I ended up buying a CCP-2 not knowing about the CWP-7 and now I need a CCP-22 to take off my Acera crankset on another one of my bikes to replace it with the SLX. So for future reference when I'm in the market looking for a new crankset I just wanted to know what tools would be more popular. Also how many different tools they make for the BB. So far I came accross a External one which requires a wrench type tool. Then one that looks like the tool I use to remove the cassette. This will be the first time I am ever taking out the BB. So what kind of BB tool is most common for me to use when I need to buy a tool to put in the Hollowtech and remove my current BB which is unknown to me it came with my Trek/fisher wahoo. But I do know the crankset is Acera.

Former Bike Wrench
    Neither...the most popular and common on mid to high end bikes is the two piece system using external or pressed in bearings, like the SLX you are going to use.