mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What is the lightest crank and best setup at present.

Hi who makes the best Cranks at the moment. ?

XTR hollowtech with bb seems to be ok. But is their better and lighter around.

What do you use.

Thanks

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Tons of Lighter Cranks

Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Hi who makes the best Cranks at the moment. ?

XTR hollowtech with bb seems to be ok. But is their better and lighter around.

What do you use.

Thanks
    There are probably at least a dozen square taper cranks that when paired to an Action-Tec or similar Ti BB would be lighter than the current XTR.

Better is completely subjective. I like a variety of cranks for a variety of different reasons but unless you personally are comparing 1 to another other peoples opinions dont matter much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Depends on your usage, I guess. FSA Carbon looks pretty good...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ts&sortby=real

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XC Usage.

I want to find something that will be ligther and stiffer than 2004 XTR.

Good BB to go with it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Xtr

IMO: Nothing will be stiffer and lighter than XTR m-960. You can get lighter: like a Race Face next lp square taper oncloseout somewhere and then a light ti BB but it will be a noodle compared to the m-960. If you want stiff you want to go with one of the new external bb systems. Velo News published an empirical test of crank stiffnesses (road product) and the new Dura Ace (very similar to XTR) was stiffer than anything else by a big margin. I have the m-960 and by feel it is noticeably stiffer than anything else I've used.
    If you can wait Race Face is supposed to have Next carbon cranks in an X-type configuration for '05. These have the potential to be a little lighter and as stiff as XTR, plus they will probably use more affordable chainrings.