mtbr member
    Nov 2010

What kind of chain is this?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of chin this is. Any ideas?

Let's see your raw aluminium!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of chain is this?-100_4175.jpg  

mtbr member
    DK Bikes chain for BMX grinding. "DK EXO chain"

Waiting for peace
    Is it just me, or is the chain on backwards?? One does tend to grind down things headed in a forwards-like direction right?? ummm... wouldn't the outer/upper exo-skeleton kinda catch on stuff on the way down?

mtbr member
    Why does he have a chain keeper as well? There's no way that's on a multi-speed bicycle. You would have to use a "push down" sprung chain tensioner if it was a vertical dropout frame, and then it might be nice to have the chain keeper if the tensioner wasn't strong enough. But why go through all of that to run a grinding chain on a bike that doesn't do grinds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This kind of chain is usually used for other applications other than power transmission. Chains of similar design, which cannot bend backward are often used for timing chains because they resist the tendency to flex inward (what we call chainsuck) which would throw the timing off. In larger versions they're used as conveyor belt chains to move things in machinery.

I think the only justification for using this kind of chain on a bike is cool factor, and since that's 1/2 the selling point of many Fixies and BMX bikes, I think it makes perfect sense.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Chains of similar design, which cannot bend backward are often used for timing chains because they resist the tendency to flex inward (what we call chainsuck).
    Well thats a good point, I didn't think of that. Though I cant think of many SS mtb setups that suffer from chainsuck.

It still doesn't explain his paul chain keeper.