Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What happened to 9 speed!

Has 9 speed become obsolete?

In need of replacement 9 speed shifter (SLX or XT) and all usual shops and online sources (uk) appear to only be listing 10 speed.

Merlin; Winstanleys; Ribble; etc etc

Is this Shimano's way of forcing the upgrade to 10 speed or do the shops no longer care for supporting those with 9 speed drive trains
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    Has 9 speed become obsolete?

In need of replacement 9 speed shifter (SLX or XT) and all usual shops and online sources (uk) appear to only be listing 10 speed.

Merlin; Winstanleys; Ribble; etc etc

Is this Shimano's way of forcing the upgrade to 10 speed or do the shops no longer care for supporting those with 9 speed drive trains
    That my friend is called marketing magic. Lol

At least thats what its called in the tire industry.

I have a xc bike and i run a light 8 speed. I dont realy even need 8 speeds.

Marketing magic baby

Pump them out and YOU will buy them ahahahahah

If it aint broke, market it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why not market frames and tires with helium ????

Make them even lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Pretty soon these bike will float away if not held down .

I can see it now. New bike weighs - 2 lbs lol.

mtbr member
    You should still be able to get those on eBay. I feel your pain. I have been super happy with my XT 3x9 and have enough of it to go again soon when the current chains start slipping.

MTB B'dos
    I'm not sure if this is a Troll or joke, obviously you didn't look very hard at all. I still use 9spd on all my bikes and have no trouble finding 9spd parts for them, got XT shifters just the other day actually for a damn nice price and some XTR chains
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

thecentralscrutinizer
    Kicked to the curb!!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Nope not a troll, just someone frustrated at not being able to walk into a uk bike shop and pick up a part that is generally still in wide use.

All I want is a 9 speed (rear) SLX or XT shifter, Im even happy to buy front & rear.

Winstanley Bikes - Rear SLX no longer listed, Pair XT out of stock no date available
    Merlin - SLX out of stock no date available, XT out of stock no date available
    Ribble - Nothing listed at all
    Evans - SLX nothing listed, XT pair available in 5 days
    Wiggle - SLX not listed, XT available to order only
    Cyclestore - SLX available to order only, XT right out of stock
    Chain Reaction - SLX Discontinued, XT out of stock no date available

Every shop contacted is saying the same thing not currently available and unable to get a date on shimano 9 speeds (unless bottom of range) but they have an endless supply of 10 speeds which are of no use to the mass of 9/18/27 speed riders.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Just spoken to Maddison and they have confirmed that the 9 speed SLX right shifter is discontinued by Shimano.
    He told me I could use a lower spec, or look at XT.
    Lower spec is not feasible as the shifters a matched to Hope breaks so there is no room for an indicator. XT is therefore the only option if I can source a cover or tape them up.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No joke. I dig through recycle bins for these. People who buy 10 speed chains have money and replace them after 1000 miles. The other major users are those who have to ride through poverty they tend to buy 7 cog freewheels. So most of the chains sold are either 10 of the 8 7 6 5 universal size. Don't put with this buy mail order.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

MTB B'dos
    Hum, guess I got mine just in time then When I was looking, I could easily find 9spd stuff in stock. I'm guessing that they're trying to do with 9spd like they did with the rest and make it for low tier bikes and 10 and 11 spd be for high end. Think it's maybe time to buy up some 9spd stuff then as I have no intention of switching anytime soon.
    Nope not a troll, just someone frustrated at not being able to walk into a uk bike shop and pick up a part that is generally still in wide use.

All I want is a 9 speed (rear) SLX or XT shifter, Im even happy to buy front & rear.

Winstanley Bikes - Rear SLX no longer listed, Pair XT out of stock no date available
    Merlin - SLX out of stock no date available, XT out of stock no date available
    Ribble - Nothing listed at all
    Evans - SLX nothing listed, XT pair available in 5 days
    Wiggle - SLX not listed, XT available to order only
    Cyclestore - SLX available to order only, XT right out of stock
    Chain Reaction - SLX Discontinued, XT out of stock no date available

Every shop contacted is saying the same thing not currently available and unable to get a date on shimano 9 speeds (unless bottom of range) but they have an endless supply of 10 speeds which are of no use to the mass of 9/18/27 speed riders.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Formerly of Kent
    I have several thousand miles of OR, upstate NY, and northern Georgia riding and racing on my carbon frame, with carbon wheels.

No problems. You are an idiot.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    what's that got to do with 9 or 10 speed drive trains?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodish View Post
    No joke. I dig through recycle bins for these. People who buy 10 speed chains have money and replace them after 1000 miles. The other major users are those who have to ride through poverty they tend to buy 7 cog freewheels. So most of the chains sold are either 10 of the 8 7 6 5 universal size. Don't put with this buy mail order.

People who are smart with their money replace their chains every 1000 miles, otherwise they will have to lay down some real coin replacing rings and cassettes.

Ow!
    I still see 9 speed stuff around here in the states, though there is less available over time. If EU mail order companies are not carrying 9 speed, check ebay or sellers in the states. And, yes, if you want to keep 9 speed working, stock up when you see that stuff on sale. I did that many years ago when I picked up a few 8s XTR steel cassettes (best cassettes ever).

Took a short ride on the 8s speed bike this morning, which is a Nomad carbon frame. Yep, a fancy new carbon frame with 8 speed. Currently use some X7 shifters, but have some twisties if those go out. I have one more cassette after the one on the bike, so should do me for a few more years (not my main bike). Then I will probably go 10 speed.

psycho cyclo addict
    Nothing new has happened... bike shops and component manufacturers want you to throw away perfectly good "old" stuff and buy more and more new stuff.

There are three 9-speeds, one 7-speed (that has the original chain from 1995 still working like a CHAMP) and a single speed in my house. My approach has been to acquire spare items from eBay or when online retailers have blowout sales.

mtbr member
    Talking to Maddison and local providers they believe 9 speed will still be serviceable but you will need to drop quality ie move to LX or lower!
    When I asked about move to 10 speed, they all believe that there is soon to be a large scale move by shimano to 11 speed and to there new derailleur attachment, once bike manufacturers adopt.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, I think you'll see 7-8 speed kinda disappear and 9 speed will be the new low end stuff with 10 being the main stream and 11 top end...

wont be surprised if you'll see a mess of aftermarket companies come out with the more 9 speed cassettes .. like KCNC and the like..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

MTB B'dos
    9spd already IS the low end alternative for big brands - TREK bikes with spec Deore and under is 9spd, everything above is 10spd.

Talking to Maddison and local providers they believe 9 speed will still be serviceable but you will need to drop quality ie move to LX or lower!
    When I asked about move to 10 speed, they all believe that there is soon to be a large scale move by shimano to 11 speed and to there new derailleur attachment, once bike manufacturers adopt.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, I think you'll see 7-8 speed kinda disappear and 9 speed will be the new low end stuff with 10 being the main stream and 11 top end...

wont be surprised if you'll see a mess of aftermarket companies come out with the more 9 speed cassettes .. like KCNC and the like..
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It definitely is frustrating. However, I don't think it's as simple as a ploy to get customers to spend more money.

It is cheaper for a company to mass-produce their 'latest' technology and force that onto customers rather than wait around for people to decide whether they want it or not. There are some benefits to this approach but also some negatives. One negative is people like us who know that 9-speed is great but will eventually be manipulated into upgrading because we can't find decent 9-speed cassettes.

Of course they do benefit from people's temptation for the latest and greatest, and they do benefit from us having to upgrade our shifters/derailleurs when our cassettes wear out

mtbr member
    So what we are really saying is that there is little point in spending the extra cash on a top end new bike (unless a lottery winner or sponsored) when the parts its fitted with could have a two year shelf life or less depending on whats in development at the time of purchase.
    Better off buying the cheaper version and using the extra cash to buy spares to keep it running for a few extra years lol
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

MTB B'dos
    NO, it means that when you see a new standard get introduced and you know you don't want to upgrade to make sure and stock up on parts. Not sure how long you've been riding, but 9spd was around for over 10 years before they went to 10spd for MTBs, I wouldn't call that a short time and definitely not a couple years. Also, 9spd stuff of right now is superior to 9spd of 10 years ago, I cannot believe the difference between the M750 XT shifters I first had compared to the M770s I just got. Right now even Deore is damned nice and a bike with a mix of that a nd a bit higher would be a nice bike, but as usual, not as light as a higher specd bike.

So what we are really saying is that there is little point in spending the extra cash on a top end new bike (unless a lottery winner or sponsored) when the parts its fitted with could have a two year shelf life or less depending on whats in development at the time of purchase.
    Better off buying the cheaper version and using the extra cash to buy spares to keep it running for a few extra years lol
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I agree with LyNx, since Deore went to a Shadow rear and with the M590 version of the shifters, they are pretty crisp, can grab 3 gears on the upshift, but only one on the down. I also have XT 9 speed shifters on my park bike, they a little more crisp and can grab 2 gears downshifting (thanks to a mod for M770), but it's not that huge of a deal in practice. Sad, it looks like Alivio is the only 9-speed left since Deore went 10-speed too.
    On another note, I have 10-speed XT, SLX and Deore, it can be a little more finicky to set up, but not much, works well too! I generally don't recommend upgrading to 10-speed there is a specific reason you want to, 9-speed works quite fine and there are some good parts deals these days. But when it dries up and 10-speed is cheaper, then you can always go that route.

mtbr member
    sorry LyNx I was making reference to those who may have bought a new bike at the end of 2010 or early 2011 and purchased higher spec bikes with 9 speed Slx Xt & Xtr.
    Appreciate 9 speed has been around a reasonable time before this.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    I've had this trouble too.
    I can find 9 speed stuff on ebay but most shops are not stocking them cuz nobodys making them.

If you replacing a whole drivetrain go 2x10
    Im afraid 11 speeds are going to become more popular than 10 speeds here soon though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast