mtbr member

Idea! What front shifter for 2x9 setup?

I've been experimenting with the front end of my drivetrain a bit lately. I started with a 2x9 setup with Hussefelt cranks with bashguard and what was a Sram x7 3x shifter (I think it was originally a 3x - stock 2008 SX Trail). Swapped that out for an HammerSchmidt with XO shifter. Swapped that for a single 32t ring and cranks to save some weight. Now, I'm not liking that so much as this is for my only mountain bike and I need it to be extremely versatile.

I just ordered an SLX dual ring crankset with bashguard and need to pick up a front shifter for it (my rear shifter is Sram XO). What would you all recommend? A 3x shifter adjusted to only work with the two rings or a 2x shifter (I'm not sure if that will work well but have zero experience in that area)?

Also, if anyone is selling something that would work well (Sram XO or X9 preferably), shoot me a pm

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that I already have a 3x front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You need a 2x shifter, a 3 ring crank spacing is different than a 2x. Your front shifter will work as-is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    You need a 2x shifter, a 3 ring crank spacing is different than a 2x. Your front shifter will work as-is.
    I'm not sure if there's a typo there, but that's not exactly correct. An SLX double crank is spaced the same as a triple. It's just small ring and big ring where small ring and middle ring would be on a triple. Bash takes the place of the big ring.

A regular 3x front shifter and 3x front der will do the job, but a 3x shifter and an SLX double specific front der would do even better. I've got an X0 shifter, 3x XT front der, and XT crank with 22/36 rings and am looking at a double der for it. You could easily pick up an X0 shifter to match your other side if that matters to you.

The new 2x10 double cranks are a bit different ring spacing if I understand correctly, and do work better with a 2x10 front der. The 2-3 shift on a regular 3x front shifter pulls the same amount of cable as the (only) 1-2 shift on a 2x10 shifter.

Short answer, run a 3x shifter, 3x der if you want easy, readily available. Run a 3x shifter, double derailleur if you want a bit better performance. Run a 2x10 derailleur and maybe 10 speed chain, with either a 3x9 or 2x10 front shifter if you want to fiddle and experiment.